porthole in aft wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlesamilton

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Wahuntchoo
Vessel Make
Grand Banks / Classic
36 classic, just wondering if I can cut a porthole in the aft "wall "above the bed left of the companion way? Not sure whats in the "wall", I am a carpenter and would have no problem cutting and installing a porthole in my boat but at the same time a 12" hole is a bit scary, any thought GB family?

It's properly a "portlight," regardless of shape. If I were to have done that on my similarly built GB42, I would have cut a rectangular shape for a portlight which is more in keeping with the overall look of the boat. I gave the idea consideration over the years, and it would have been extremely easy because the bulkhead there was simply one layer of plywood. However, other priorities got in the way, and I never did the job.

I am not sure what that wall is, sounds like one layer of plywood with fiberglass covering? What is the difference between a porthole and a portlight? I definitely want to be able to open the new portlight.

Can you make it big enough to act as an escape hatch as well?

probably not, just hoping for a bed view and a little more sea breeze

What is the purpose of this opening, viewing, ventilation, light or all three? I would imagine you want this item to open inwardly rather than the reverse which would throw an obstruction out over the aft deck. There are numerous styles and sizes available from manufacturers like Bomar.

all three , Bomar is a quality product that will blend?

Not a GB, but I have a portlight on the aft cabin rear wall. Mine measures about 18"h x 24"w. It doesn't open. My cabin is formed FG from a mold, lined with mahogany plywood with a teak plywood interior veneer. How old is your GB? Their construction evolved over the years, from their wood boat years to molded FG, Should be easy enough to determine the construction. I would look up from any wall openings in the aft cabin or aft head to see what the side wall construction looks like. In my boat you can slide open the cupboards outboard of the tub in the aft head and stick your head in.

all three , Bomar is a quality product that will blend?

I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder and how big you want it to be. You can certainly cobble up something in your wood working shop which would help the exterior surface of whatever portlight you choose for the aft cabin bulkhead, but the interior side would not look like anything else in your boat. Maybe this is something you want to make from scratch with an original-looking frame on both sides. I had my GB42's aft cabin completely gutted and rearranged, but I was very specific that all original wood be reused to preserve the original look to the greatest degree possible. Same with this pilot bench I had built...

Attachments

• CALYPSO lower sta helm for GB42 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    CALYPSO lower sta helm for GB42 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 14
I agree, I try to keep everything true to the boat. The 2 owners before me took great care of her and I am following suit. To the purist , Tingum, yes it is a bulkhead sorry. A friend of mine gave me a book " Nautical Terms" by Lenfestey and Lenfestey its 530 pages you should read it and frolic in the glory of and the knowledge of the definition of a margin clip, an ice blink,hambroline and of course the well known gammon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom