Leaking fresh water tank Grand Banks 46 classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mischa

Vessel Name
Darkside
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46 Classic
I have discovered that the rear aluminium water tank on my 46 Grand Banks Classic is leaking. I can see a small hole below, near the front, which I plan to temporally fill with epoxy once the tank is dry enough, to see if there are additional leaks already. However, I presume that the bottom of the tank is well pitted by now and other holes may develop soon. I want to avoid removing and replacing if possible as it has the generator sitting above it. Also, I would need to replace it with a few smaller ones, as access is problematic.

CKS posted that he used alumiseal from impco, and I am exploring this option.

My initial question is, can someone give me an idea of what the interior layout of one of these tanks would look like. The position of the baffles if any? If I decide to make an access hole I am wondering what the best position for it would be?

I am also interested in any other suggestion any one may have.

Thanks

My 32 GB sprung a leak last year and I replaced it with a plastic tank which is ultimately going to be your fix. We traced our root cause ( besides a 50 yr old steel tank) back to the chlorine that’s added to the potable water at our marina.
A year before the leaks we started seeing brown (rust) color showing up when we ran the water. Turns out chlorine is corrosive to steel.

Back
Top Bottom