GB Chain Locker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

Removed all chain and rode out of chain locker to clean and paint it.
Found bitter end of nylon rode was not tied off to anything.
There is no padeye or fitting in there to secure the bitter end.
Am going to add and rig something up but first am curious how other GB's are rigged.
How/where are the bitter end of your anchor rodes secured?
Please advise
Thank you

My 42 just has a bar which won't come up through the hole in the deck.

Nylon rode bitter end tied off to a frame on the side of the locker. I have length tags attached to the entire rode. Last year, had the`5/16" chain hot dipped galvinized which led me to splicing the 3/4" nylon rode on. Even using a fid found my first experience splicing time consuming yet satisfying because I trust it will hold. Since the V berth access door to the chain locker allowed rode crud to fall into the bottom of the door jam, I tacked up a overlapping plastic sheet inside the chain locker door.

Attachments

• AT&T Yahoo Mail - Photo.pdf
    12.6 KB · Views: 29
Okay. Thanks both of you.
I ask because the bulkhead up there seems too thin and weak to accept a substantial load.
I too, like Nick, just tied something off the end to prevent it from existing the hawser; but am going to rig up a thru-bolt and big backing plate and tie into something in a more substantial manner and then secure a lanyard to that which can be affixed to the bitter end.
But if my current setup is typical of GBs was curious what you guys will all chain do to secure the bitter end because the boat does not seem to come fitted with anything to accommodate that.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom