Upper helm cable 1978 MK1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westcoast

Hi all,
I'm looking to find the length of the upper helm throttle cable on a 1978 34'. I'm looking to remedy a stiff lever, and the existing cable is both too long (it does a full loop of the compartment under the upper helm station before heading down), and has no markings on it. Rather than try to lubricate it, I'd rather just get some new cables in, as I think it's likely overdue. I'd be grateful for your insights.

Many thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard. Cables usually have the length stamped on them at each end. Did you look at the other end?

Hi Comodave,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, alas - nothing at either end. I'd hoped to find something - then at least I could subtract the extra and go from there.

Too bad. I guess that you may just have to pull it out and measure it. Make sure you pull a line or something through as you pull it out in order to pull the new one in.

Yes, that's may be the way to go. I'm going to try to get its length with a fish before pulling it out - in the hopes that I can still use the old cable to pull the new one through. We'll see....

Get some wire pulling lube. It may help it slide through easier. Got this on Amazon.

Gardner Bender 79-006N Wire-Aide Wire Pulling Lubricant, Greaseless Fiber-Optic Wire Insulation, 1 Qt. Squeeze Bottle, Yellow , White

I just replaced the throttle cable on my 79 MK1.the old cable looked like it was possibly original. I had a hard time finding any markings. Newer cables are marked approximately 3 feet from either end but mine was marked about 3 feet from engine side and was 2 separate numbered tags that read 38. I ordered a 38 foot cable and it fit perfectly as did the original. So 38ft

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom