Transmission rattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We did ours in a couple hours. Was not a big deal. If mechanic thinks it is get a second opinion.

Go to my blog, grandbankschoices, and dig around to find it.

One of the entries we pull the tranny for rebuild, that is not it.

Was the replacement the same part or a aftermarket dampener ? Did the damper fail or the rattle increased because of the metal springs? I have read and talked to several yards that said the rattle is normal in the 63A gear and more pronounced when bolted to a 4LHA. Some of the noise comes from the straight cut gears and some comes from the metal springs in the dampener. Replacing the dampener that uses rubber dampener springs will quiet it down. A couple of techs that I spoke with said they removed the dampener and found no issues with it but still replaced with the rubber style dampener and the gear quieted down but if you listened closely the gear noise was still there. I was also told that increasing the idle 50 to 70 rpm still maintaining recommended idle rpm will also quiet the gear down. My question is what was the condition of the dampener that was removed?

The old damper seemed fine but it did seem there was some play in the spline so I replaced it and the noise is gone (for now)

Back
Top Bottom