Suspicious drool on 2004 MS 400.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Retriever

Vessel Name
Bay Retriever
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400
Every so often, I find a coffee-like stain on the cockpit deck between the starboard boarding step and the starboard corner stanchion. It appears to be emanating and dripping down to the cockpit deck from the metal trim that surrounds the fly bridge sundeck( the same trim goes around the entire fly bridge, not just the sundeck). Just wondering if and how anyone else has dealt with this issue. I am thinking it is some sort of rust or deck rot from behind the trim.

Probably wet core in the flybridge deck. Have you tapped out the deck with a small hammer? I use a phenolic hammer. You should look for areas on the bridge that the caulking may have failed. Most likely you are in for an expensive replacement of the coring.

It’s called Mainship Tea and it’s from wet core.
You need to find and solve the leak before it gets damaged further.

Commodave and jleonard nailed it. I had the same issue when I first bought my 400. Upper deck from the top of the steps to the helm seat was mushy. I knew this when I bought it and I discounted the price accordingly.

My glass guy fixed the problem by replacing the core and re-glassing the upper deck where the rot was located. He speculated that the bolt holes for the folding table started to leak and the water ran aftward to the top of the steps where there was a transverse rib, thus preventing the rot from going further.

I don't get it anymore after he did his work.

BTW, he gave me two options, replace the deck with the same diamond non-skid or sand all the diamond off and make the upper deck all sand non-skid. The 2nd option was 1/3 the price of replacing the diamonds. He told me he would have to make molds of the diamonds which is labor intensive, and thus the price difference. I opted for the sand non-skid and he matched the existing gelcoat perfectly and you can't even tell it is not the original.

I have heard of some repairs made using the old diamond decking that was removed to make the repairs, but for some reason my guy didn't think that was possible.

Anyway, I am very happy with the result.

I just remembered, didn't you have your upper deck repaired? Sounds like something is still leaking, if that's the case. Did your repair guy re-bed the rail stanchion at the top of the steps, that's a known problem area?

BTW, he gave me two options, replace the deck with the same diamond non-skid or sand all the diamond off and make the upper deck all sand non-skid. The 2nd option was 1/3 the price of replacing the diamonds. He told me he would have to make molds of the diamonds which is labor intensive, and thus the price difference.

I found a place that stocks those diamond non skid molds. I don't recall the company but I recall it was in Texas. Gibco perhaps?
Anyway they have many styles and sizes. I bought a 12 inch square piece to try to match the non skid on the Albin as I had 4 small areas that needed repair.

I found a place that stocks those diamond non skid molds. I don't recall the company but I recall it was in Texas. Gibco perhaps?
Anyway they have many styles and sizes. I bought a 12 inch square piece to try to match the non skid on the Albin as I had 4 small areas that needed repair.

Way back, when I was having a 30' sailboat built, I had the option of diamond patterned non-skid. It was made by using the acrylic panels sold by Home Depot (and all other home improvement stores) as diffusers for 2' x 4' flourescent lighting fixtures, laid on the wet gelcoat to mold in the pattern.

I just remembered, didn't you have your upper deck repaired? Sounds like something is still leaking, if that's the case. Did your repair guy re-bed the rail stanchion at the top of the steps, that's a known problem area?

Good memory! This issue is hopefully isolated to the seam area behind the trim that surrounds the fly bridge. I have asked my marina to investigate, but they are 8-10 weeks out scheduling anything. It may have to wait!

Good memory! This issue is hopefully isolated to the seam area behind the trim that surrounds the fly bridge. I have asked my marina to investigate, but they are 8-10 weeks out scheduling anything. It may have to wait!

The tape they use for shrink wrapping will work as a temporary measure to stop the water from coming in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom