Stove top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I carry a GasOne GS-4000P single burner stove use at anchor when I don't want to run the generator. Works amazing, lots of heat. Can adapt to either propane or butane. Check Amazon or even Home Depot

stove top

Have a 2004 Mainship Pilot 30. Am a sailor at heart and want to swap out the electric stove top for either alcohol or propane single burner stove top, as we have no gen set and enjoy being on the hook. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thank.
Susie
Gee Whiz
Maine

Yes, I have a suggestion. Install a generator. Alcohol is inefficient, requires fuel storage and is a fire hazard. Propane carries with it it's own set of problems which are too numerous to mention, not the least of which are gas leak, explosion or fire. And yes, I know lots of people have propane.
I don't. I have electric. I recommend that.
Before everyone starts screaming bloody murder, remember that this is a forum. Questions asked, opinions given. If you differ, fine. Offer your ideas.

Have a 2004 Mainship Pilot 30. Am a sailor at heart and want to swap out the electric stove top for either alcohol or propane single burner stove top, as we have no gen set and enjoy being on the hook. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thank.
Susie
Gee Whiz
Maine
We too are from the world of sail, we have Mainship 390 and bought an Origo 3000 that comes out when on the hook and as you know will cook as fast if not better than an electric, with no generator noise. we love it and also love the electric when back on the dock. brings the best of both worlds together

On my car forum there are lots of "one hit wonders". It's annoying to those of us that would like to help make a difference to someone and be acknowledged. Common courtesy.

I do get your point, but if you think about how many thousands of views these posts get through google etc, from folks searching for the answers to boating questions (this is how I found the forum last year), and the comprehensive answers given, it’s a great resource for so many. The OP really doesn’t matter that much :)

I do get your point, but if you think about how many thousands of views these posts get through google etc, from folks searching for the answers to boating questions (this is how I found the forum last year), and the comprehensive answers given, it’s a great resource for so many. The OP really doesn’t matter that much :)

I love your attitude. Thanks for sharing that. Common courtesy is important to society and it's future. Nothing I can do about people who lack in that area. Knowing that the good answers help the masses more than the OP is a real positive. You've given me a higher road to take and free myself.

Here's a halfway solution for you and safe. Camping style propane single burners that use the green one pound propane cylinders. These cylinders are refillable yourself from a 20 gallon tank you keep safely outside. A simple adapter is available to accomplish this. I have done it many times for my picnics and camping grill.(ignore the nitpickers who say you must chill the empty bottle). I just have 3, 1 pound cylinders that I rotate and refill at my convenience. It's easy, inexpensive and safe. I know it's not the attractive permanent install anyone would prefer but it beats installing a safe permanent system. You can have the best of both worlds by keeping the electric system for shore power and the high btu burner for extended stays on the hook. If you shop around you'll find a burner to suit your taste. Lots of pro chefs use them for demo classes. I second having a grill on the aft railing as well. Same tank will work for both applications.

Just a note on these small camping stoves that the cylinder, basically a spray paint can. If you put a oversized pot on them they can melt the fitting and the can causing a sudden release of gas.

I witnessed this once and it’s quite dramatic.

Wallas? I have a heater and love it.

Cooktop...no way.

For the OP...Brunswick, Me....sure.

Brunswick, Ga..... no way.....

The stove I'm thinking of has the bottle outside the stove to the side attached by a 6-8" tube. I think you're describing a butane stove which would be dangerous. Maybe you don't have them in AUS. Also, the metric system may have us lost in translation as a one pound cylinder is huge compared to a butane/paint can.

Noted
The stove I'm thinking of has the bottle outside the stove to the side attached by a 6-8" tube. I think you're describing a butane stove which would be dangerous. Maybe you don't have them in AUS. Also, the metric system may have us lost in translation as a one pound cylinder is huge compared to a butane/paint can.

Back
Top Bottom