Read in bed? V-berth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kknelson57

Vessel Name
Alemi
Vessel Make
Four Winns 338 Vista Express
Question for owner's of Mainship 390-400's.
Can you read in bed while lying propped/sitting up in the V-berth? Or does your head hit the underside of the V-berth overhang?

Don't know about Mainships but reading in bed in my Albin is nearly impossible. Two reasons, one is that there is an overhang above the head of the bed which allows reading only while laying down. The other reason is the lighting. There is a bedside table which is as low as the bed and when reading you either get glare or shadows.

Save your time in bed for more normal bed related activities, like watching TV.

pete

If I remember correctly the 390 has a pretty low overhead at the bow. We read in the recliners in the salon. We can fall asleep there really well...

The reading lights were at the aft end of the v-berth in my Trojan F32...and it made a lot more sense to sleep with my feet at the narrow end of the berth instead of my head.

--Peggie

I am a recent purchaser of a 2003 Mainship 390. Do you also own this boat? I may have some questions from time to time if you are receptive.

Simply read while laying on your side. Works great on my 390.

The reading lights were at the aft end of the v-berth in my Trojan F32...and it made a lot more sense to sleep with my feet at the narrow end of the berth instead of my head.

--Peggie

In our F32 we also slept head to the aft and it worked well, but the 390 has an island berth that is open at the aft end.

Last edited:
Have berth reading lights on our boat. Factory-installed as standard equipment. :)

--Peggie
Yes, that's the way I arranged our bedroom arrangement which had V-Berths. Put in an LED light as well, to save on battery draw-down. Worked well.

...the 390 has an island berth that is open at the aft end.
So then we are not actually talking about a V-berth?

In that case, I don't see much of any good option for reading in bed. Just have to do your reading elsewhere.

I use a Kindle PaperWhite that has a built in light. Don't have to get up to turn out the cabin light either.

So I have always assumed that one sleeps with their head at the aft end of the V birth but as a male who has to get up a hundred times a night to pee, sleeping with my head into the narrow makes more sense.

By the way, I have just had new LED reading lights installed on either side on the aft end of the V birth and one much smaller one in the middle so I can lay on my side to read, as I do at home, and have adequate light.

Question for owner's of Mainship 390-400's.
Can you read in bed while lying propped/sitting up in the V-berth?

Propped? NO, Sitting 'indian style' in the center of the bed? YES

Or does your head hit the underside of the V-berth overhang?

You have to learn how to get out of bed without hitting your head. We laugh at the uselessness of the reading lights. I didn't even bother upgrading the lights to LED's because they are never used.

Incidentally, I can't speak to the 400. Only the 350 and 390. I assume the 400 is similar. It's the cost for the protected walk-around on deck.

Back
Top Bottom