Mainship Pricing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byron

Mooloolaba Marina, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Aus
Vessel Name
No Regrets
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
Hello,

For various reasons I still have not bought a trawler.

A Mainship is on my short list.

Here in Australia I’ve seen two Mainship 34’s . 2004 & 2005. Both around $200kAU and in good condition. One with single engine , the other with twins.

I have also seen online a 1997 350. With twins. It’s more expensive at over $200k.

I would have thought the newer 34’s would be worth more so the 350 should be slightly under $200k ?

I realise theirs is the age , model , condition but also the owners ‘price’ .

Is there any rough calculation on pricing an older 350 vs newer 34’s. Or does it really just come down to the price the sellers want ?

I have spoken to the 350 owner and he is firm over $200k. It’s a considerable distance from me. While I really don’t want twins. Due to the low volume of sales here I am palming to try and make the trip to see it in person within the next 4 weeks.

Thanks
Byron

In general, Mainship build quality improved over the years from generation to generation. They tended to upgrade components and systems when they changed the models a little. That said there is not a ton of difference between the 350 and the 390, but the 34 is a totally different boat than either one. The 34s, at least here in the US, get higher prices than the 390s do, partly because most of them are newer (there was some overlap) but also because, in my opinion, they are "better" boats.

Then there is the 400, which is a totally different, much bigger, boat than the 390 with a different hull shape. They demand about 40% more than a 390.

Twins in the 400 generally sell for a little more than singles. I'm not sure how that works out in the 34. I would suspect that there is more room in the ER for twins in the 400 than in the 34, but I don't know that for sure.

We bought our twin engine, 2005 400 in 2013 for $180,000, judging by yachtworld ads, it is worth somewhere in the $220,000 range now.

Hope that helps.

Doug

I owned a 2006 MS 34T for several years. Mainship called it a 34T to differentiate it from the older 34. In all respects it is a better boat than the 350/390 (which are essentially the same boat) except if you need two state rooms. The 34T only has one up forward but it has a nice island Queen bed.

The 34T has a very wide hull, 14' for a 34. It is the only 34' trawler that I would consider with twins. The fuel and water tanks are forward of the engines so the entire width of the hull is available for the engines (except for batteries, etc). This makes getting around the engines for maintenance doable. Even a generator can be installed aft of the engines.

I liked my single engine 34T very much. It would cruise "fast" at 12 kts burning 10+ gph, whereas the twin version will do about 15 burning about 15 gph. If that is worth it to you, ok get the twin. Otherwise stick with the single.

David

Last edited:
The more I pour thru my MS Pilot II 30, the more I understand why they are priced the way they are, and hold their value. I continue to be impressed with the build quality, since acquisition in November last year. 6lpa Yanmar, No Genny.

Back
Top Bottom