Mainship 390 Transom Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkshaw1

Vessel Make
Mainship 390
If you have a Mainship 390 or similar boat can you tell me what you use these bins in the transom for? They are big and have a drain in the bottom but they are always wet, sweaty, and smell bad.

Any thoughts or hacks to make these more useable?

Thanks,
Hawk

24040-albums1125-picture7684.jpeg

24040-albums1125-picture7685.jpeg

If you have a Mainship 390 or similar boat can you tell me what you use these bins in the transom for? They are big and have a drain in the bottom but they are always wet, sweaty, and smell bad.

Any thoughts or hacks to make these more useable?

Thanks,
Hawk

24040-albums1125-picture7684.jpeg

24040-albums1125-picture7685.jpeg
I use one for Water hoses and cleaning supplies and the other for Shore power cables and I leave them cocked when not on the boat and they are dry

I added some weather stripping carefully placed to allow for sort of a channel between the stripping and the edge.

I figured out the low spot and then have a small spot, like 1/8” where there is no stripping and the water runs inside and down the drain.

Not perfect, but better!

I added some weather stripping carefully placed to allow for sort of a channel between the stripping and the edge.

I figured out the low spot and then have a small spot, like 1/8” where there is no stripping and the water runs inside and down the drain.

Not perfect, but better!
I made a similar mod. Weatherstripping all around but drilled a hole at the low corner and epoxied a small dia vinyl tube in place and cut off flush with a razor blade.
Installed a section of smallest size adhesive plastic wire mold from top to bottom of compartment and stuck the tubing into that.
It worked very well at keeping the compartment dry.
I have an assortment of hose & cleaning supplies, as well as assorted lines stored on SS hook racks I installed. For the loose items like nozzles, brushes I keep them together in small plastic wastebaskets..
My problem has been keeping the rubber weatherstripping to stick to the fiberglass. Need to try again but it's been 3 yrs since I made the mods and happy w results.

Not perfect, but better!

This is a good idea. It's a similar approach to the covers on the lower aft deck that allow access to the generator, etc.

Thank for the replies.

Hawk

I turned them both into live bait tanks. They work very well.

i use one for all my cleaning supplies/scrubbers and the other one for empty beer cans/garbage bags during trips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom