Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #21
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
FWIW - our 1978 34' was able to cruise at 11-12 knots speeds with the original 160 Perkins 6 cyl - about 14 knots top.
Best speed was 6-7 knots where the fuel use was excellent for that aged boat and weight.
Smitty, that's not the performance we get with our stock Perkins 160. WOT of 2450-2500 RPM with a clean bottom & 2:1 reduction with both 3 & 4 blade 20x20 wheels (I've tried both...no difference)gives us a top speed of maybe 12 knots on a good day. I can't say the boat is excessively loaded ,either. The only thing I could think of that you might have different would be large trim tabs &/or a keel fairing ahead of the prop. Is this the case? We're very ok with our economical 7-8 kt cruise but I'm always on the lookout for performance modifications!
Regarding the Mainship model the for which OP mentioned, we're quite happy with the living accommodations of our 34-1 ***AS A COUPLE***, Any more people than a couple for overnight stays and the boat is too small, IMO.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:15 AM   #22
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Smitty, that's not the performance we get with our stock Perkins 160. WOT of 2450-2500 RPM with a clean bottom & 2:1 reduction with both 3 & 4 blade 20x20 wheels (I've tried both...no difference)gives us a top speed of maybe 12 knots on a good day. I can't say the boat is excessively loaded ,either. The only thing I could think of that you might have different would be large trim tabs &/or a keel fairing ahead of the prop. Is this the case? We're very ok with our economical 7-8 kt cruise but I'm always on the lookout for performance modifications!
Regarding the Mainship model the for which OP mentioned, we're quite happy with the living accommodations of our 34-1 ***AS A COUPLE***, Any more people than a couple for overnight stays and the boat is too small, IMO.
We had a 4 blade tuned prop and the engine was in good working order - I believe our max rpm was 2,600 which was only used as a test and never run at that rpm. We did have some larger trim tabs but I do not know if they would be considered oversized or not for that boat. Our speeds were mostly recorded in slat water on Long Island sound but we also cruised some in fresh water when went up the Hudson an d Ct rivers. A number of our typical cruises called for a 100 nmile run (give or take) either out tp Block Island or up to Kingston NY - that gave us an easy mileage to calculate speeds and consumption from. The tides were always a factor as well but the speeds I quoted above were from a measured mile off of where we boat from a 2 way average as well as the GPS as a check.

"Any more people than a couple for overnight stays and the boat is too small,"
I would tend to agree with this and we sold the Mainship and moved to a 38' Bayliner which added space, speed and other items we were looking for.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote