Autopilot MS350/390

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 350 trawler that I plan on upgrading my old AP to a the garmin.

Really interested in how your install works out.

My current pump is located in the laz next to the steering ram. I dont know how old it is but corrosion does not seem bad despite being back there.

The previous owner wisely install a piece of plywood over the packing gland area of the shaft so that stops a lot of the saltwater from spraying around back there.

AutoPilot Install

Your timing is perfect, my tech is coming on Monday to do the install so I’ll have info towards the end of next week. And thanks for info regarding the salt water issue, will direct my guy to locate the pump accordingly. My only concern with the install is getting the compensating hydraulic line up to the fly bridge. I believe there’s a chase that goes up to the bridge alongside the stbd window next to the lower helm. Hopefully there’s room in it to pull the hydraulic line up. My guy is going to first see if he can attach it at the lower helm but I don’t think there’s enuf room behind the steering wheel which is why the fly bridge is prob the best solution Stand by for an update next week.

Update on Autopilot Install. My tech more or less completed the installation of the Garmin GHP™ Reactor Hydraulic Corepack with SmartPump with GHC50 display, Shadow drive and rudder indicator. The autopilot (AP) install took a little under two days, about 11 hours. Although the system is working properly and the boat can be used without any issues, he needs to come back to finish the installation of the rudder indicator (more later below).

I had originally wanted the new AP pump to be mounted close to the steering ram with the shadow drive component close by. But my tech (certified Garmin tech) checked with both Garmin and SeaStar and insisted that he could locate the AP pump at the helm. Since I have used this tech before with very good results I decided to go ahead but he has agreed if issues, to come back and redo the install so we will see what happens. Anyway, he mounted the new AP pump alongside of the upper helm station on the starboard side and ran short hydraulic lines to the steering helm. He replaced the connections with T fittings (the line coming from the lower helm got a T and this was connected to the Fitting on the new pump’s compensating port, the port and stbd lines were connected similarly). Again, this was blessed by Garmin and SeaStar and my tech had done this type of install several times previously with good results so, again, keeping my fingers crossed. The ECU is on top of the pump and the 9 axis heading unit is behind the dash at the upper helm away from any instruments and wires. The shadow drive is on the port side of the helm about 7 feet from the pump. Advantages: no risk of seawater in lazarette, easy access to check for leaks, less expensive install. Disadvantages: pump can be heard when engaging in turns at very low speeds but not particularly annoying (can’t hear it above 5 knots), pump is somewhat visible as is on floor to right of helm in front of couch but I may make a cover if the admiral doesn’t like, and possibility there could be issues down the road (but tech swears by this method and I trust him - will see).

Anyway, after bleeding and adding fluid and bleeding and more fluid and bleeding again (we added less than a half a quart of SeaStar fluid) we were done. My system clearly had some air in it which had made the steering less than perfect previously. I had never bled the system myself since I had the boat, so I take the blame. We then went out into the bay and he calibrated the unit. We did a series of 360 degree turns and the system reported it was calibrated. Then we let the AP complete its set up where it did a series of zig zags by itself. Once completed my tech turned it over to me. I tried it out, going over wakes, making course corrections in multiples of 1 degree, 10 degree and multiple changes, changing back and forth and the AP tracked perfectly. I also piloted the boat without the AP on. I turned it back on, set a course and after a few seconds, I then grabbed the wheel and turned sharply to starboard as if I was avoiding an obstacle and the Shadow drive released instantly permitting a quick turn. I re engaged by pressing the screen but it turns out if I left it alone it would have re engaged automatically.

For my lower helm, I went with the Garmin remote for this unit. There was very little space to mount a display there and I have yet to steer from there except for docking (and don’t need an AP for that). Plus it saved about $400. And it gives me ability to steer from anywhere including, if I want and it’s safe, up in the bow. I had a similar unit on my sailboat and the remote was great.

The issue with the rudder indicator is that the steering ram’s arm is down low and the shelf where you would mount the indicator hardware is higher. There is a connecting rod that he is going to use to attach to the arm and the threads are metric so he is getting a metric tap tool and then will come back and complete. Also has to add a small piece of Starboard to the shelf as a base for the indicator.

Once done, I’ll take pictures of everything and add to this thread. At this point I’m happy with the project. It works fine, he did a very neat job and I’m ready for some relief from constant steering corrections.

Stand by for an update

Very happy with autopilot install!

Yes, very happy. The steering has been nearly perfect in that it holds the course without any issues even in small following seas. I haven’t had the opportunity to see what happens with a large roller but i assume we will veer off but correct quickly as this has been the case with large wakes and small rollers. These changes are quick, barely noticeable, more or less just keep going straight.

Three minor downsides: 1. At low speeds (4 knots or lower in no wake zones for example), you can hear the pump since it’s mounted next to the helm, just a few feet from helm seat. It make a slight whining sound which is somewhat noticeable when going very slow, not noticeable at all when above 4 knots or so as engine noise is louder; 2. the Shadow drive was not installed physically distant from helm as suggested by Garmin and while it has never disengaged inadvertently (the Shadow drive is intended to temporarily disengage from the autopilot when you turn the wheel manually) so that’s a good thing, but a couple of times it didn’t disengage when I did turn the wheel slightly for a course correction (although it seems if the wheel is turned more than a small amount it does work all the time so you have to turn the wheel as if you were avoiding something vs making a minor course adjustment); 3. The rudder indicator install was cancelled as the attachment to the rudder post was in a confined space making the install too difficult necessitating fabrication of parts and a lot more billable time. (My tech refunded me back the cost of that component.). BTW, I never had a rudder indicator and it’s not necessary for the AP so I am not missing it.

The AP is as close to perfect as I could have wished for, I highly recommend this.

Only thing I can say is I find the rudder position on the 350 mandatory, especially when docking. Knowing where the rudder is so it can line up neutral and use the bowthruster is very convenient for docking. I can't see where there is an issue with installing the rudder position sensor on the 350/390. lots of room back there. It's also good to have rudder position display in lower helm, use it all the time when docking. . Other vessels I have had are not nearly as sensitive to this as the 350 at slow speed. Just my observations with the 350.

Back
Top Bottom