Another new Owner - 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidla

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shady Lady
Vessel Make
Main ship Trawler 400
Hi all,
just put down a deposit on a 2008 Mainship 400. A vessel in mostly great condition. I have read a lot of your threads already and are very impressed not only with the information here, but also on Steve Cyr's site - thanks for the tips.
Now to a couple of questions about my vessel specifically:

Firstly the swim platform. I note there is some ballast in the lazarette style lockers in the swim platform. (It has lift up hatches.) Is this due to it being a single engine (Yanmar 6LYA-STP version) ? Also the selling agent is explaining away water inside these areas as some sort of tankage. I was not paying close attention and are hard of hearing so may have misunderstood what he was saying. Also, is this swim platform on the 2008 model still bolted below the water line?

Secondly, this vessel is fitted with a Sea Keeper Gyro and whilst a great feature, it is located in the understairs section where the washer dryer combo is usually located. As my wife and I intend to live aboard for a year, she wants to know where I intend to put her washing machine.:)

Finally, the vessel is being lifted for an out of water survey and a mechanical survey next week. Is there anything I should be looking out for in particular?
Genset is Kohler and the vessel is in Australia, so a 220v version. Does the electric grill up top perform any better with 220v versus 110 I wonder?

BTW engine only has 540 hours, so anything to look out for with such low hours? I have already asked if it is a repower and the answer is no.

Thanks for all the great info so far.

David

Welcome aboard TF and to the many Mainship owners here.
You have already found the best resource I'm aware of re the MS 400 as Steve Cyr's website it fantastic.
My Bacchus website and the "Parts Sticky thread" in the Marlow Mainship section has many part pics & sources but I didn't have the BOM for the 400 only the 34T/HT. So you cab scan thru the pic thumbnails and click on anything that looks similar.

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new, possibly, boat. Like any other boat check the decks for soft spots. Look for window leaks, stains on the paneling. Check the stringers for being wet. Get a mechanic that is knowledgeable about that engine to do a survey on it. Fuel tanks should be ok in that vintage but check them as much as possible. Good luck!

Welcome Aboard! I found but leave whether to post the sales advert to you. Boat presents well detailed. We looked hard at an impressive and attractive 395 but passed due to modest water tankage (? 160L) and no obvious place for more tankage. You need supply for the washing machine. ER a tight crawl space, same single and genset. Check water in the swim platform compartments via the surveyor, I recall leaks into the platform being raised on TF,but ? on older boats. Is the genset needed to operate the Gyro?
Hope it goes well!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the welcome messages and will take the advice onboard. The gyro is presumably 12volt. i wouldn't want to run the genset constantly just for it and particularly at night whilst sleeping at anchor. We shall see. We love the layout and space aboard. Our last vessel was a Catalina 350 mono, so a big change in every way.

Where do you intend to use the boat? A gyro on a 40 foot boat is unusual. Was it an original installation or retrofitted?

pete

I suspect this is a retrofit. It is not a sea keeper as I first thought but an Australian version called sea gyro. The literature is very light on and I agree it’s unusual. I am already planning to remove it and save the weight unless it proves to be a miracle device. I am wondering if this is why there is ballast in the swim platform?
Cheers

If you keep it make sure it has adequate structural support. The gyros put an extremely high load on the boat.

Part of the magic in a gyro is based on its weight. They must be heavy and securely mounted. My guess is that it explains the ballast on the swim platform.

pete

Settled

Okay,
We finalised the purchase yesterday and the boat is ours. Won't get back to it until after 5 August but looking forward to moving aboard for a few weeks to get used to her.
Booked in to pull the shaft and redo the hull antifoul in October so will update the stern tube discussion at that time.
Thanks for all the help and advice.:socool:

Mainship 400

I have had a 2008 MS 400 for 5 years. The water in the lazarette of my boat is always fresh water. The scupper around the aft deck lazarette hatch has one drain on the starboard. Since my boat leans to port, the rain water that does not go out the drain spills over the lip into the lazarette.

davidla-

Please let us know if you find the gyro useful at all and its behavior. I am considering a gyro (probably not!) or a washer under the MS400 companionway stairs. But really, neither are a necessity.

The gyro is admittedly very useful at an Anchorage where there are a lot of vessels passing by. Haven't undertaken an ocean passage to date. It is 240v so until I finalize my electrical upgrade we don't use it often. It will run just fine on the planned 3kw inverter. Current draw is very modest.
We installed a top load washing machine in place of the sink up top next to the electric bbq. All plumbing, draining and electrical needs were present. Very easy install.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom