34’ Pilothouse Sedan A/C Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwmeyer13

Vessel Name
Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Make
2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Hello ,
I am getting various boat upgrades/projects underway since leaving the dock for more than just a day cruise is not possible with all that’s going on in the world n a days. I had changed out the cabin house a/c unit year or so ago and kept the older one and am planning on installing it in the Pilothouse area. I always thought that the unit was beneath the copilot bench seat but after looking at several pictures of y model on yacht world I am not so sure. I see the vents on the side of the copilot bench seat but don’t see a return screen and it looks as if the port side aft bench seat still has the removable cushion for the footwell to turn it into a topside bunk is still usable. Also can’t locate any pictures of where the thermostat/controller is mounted. If anyone has this option or knows the layout of the Pilothouse a/c set please lemme know if you have the time.
Thanks and be well.

On my 07 model, the bridge deck AC is under the port seat as you suggested. The return is in the front footwell area and there are 3 outlets, one in the rear of the seat, and two on the inside facing the helm seat. The area covered with the removable cushion has a Starboard panel, and the port side settee is truncated at that panel, so it is no longer usable as a "full length" berth. The thermostat is mounted on the side wall below the window near the copilot seat. The raw water supply is tied off the pump for the cabin unit. Sorry no pictures to help clarify, but hopefully this helps.

My helm ac unit is also under the co pilot seat. The return grill is on the inward facing side of the seat base, and the thermostat is just above the return air grill. There is only one supply outlet, mounted on the port bulkhead where it can cool the "co-pilot (AKA "ADMIRAL")!

She, too is on Yachtworld, and there are 3 or 4 photos that show the arrangement:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/mainship-34-pilot-sedan-3619463/

On my 07 model, the bridge deck AC is under the port seat as you suggested. The return is in the front footwell area and there are 3 outlets, one in the rear of the seat, and two on the inside facing the helm seat. The area covered with the removable cushion has a Starboard panel, and the port side settee is truncated at that panel, so it is no longer usable as a "full length" berth. The thermostat is mounted on the side wall below the window near the copilot seat. The raw water supply is tied off the pump for the cabin unit. Sorry no pictures to help clarify, but hopefully this helps.

Tonic1 that is almost exactly how I thought it was but I had seen several layouts that showed a little different design so I thought I would seek first hand knowledge.
I am going to install a separate pump for my unit seeing as how
1: I don’t know how I would connect it electrically or plumbing wise
2: The ups guy just dropped of my order from Defender which included the pump.

Tonic1 does your helm a/c have a separate discharge or does it utilize the one for the lower unit too?
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/mainship-pilot-34-sedan-3595644/

This boat on YachtWorld has some photos which clearly show the outlet locations.

Yes I saw this one, I had thought that the return air was at the base of the copilot chair below these vents.

My helm ac unit is also under the co pilot seat. The return grill is on the inward facing side of the seat base, and the thermostat is just above the return air grill. There is only one supply outlet, mounted on the port bulkhead where it can cool the "co-pilot (AKA "ADMIRAL")!

She, too is on Yachtworld, and there are 3 or 4 photos that show the arrangement:

ljk saw these as well but was unable to determine the tstat location based on the photos.

Tonic1 and ljk, if I may, a few more questions,
1: What size are your a/c units?
2: Do you run both units simultaneously?
3: Do you have separate circuit breakers for each unit?
4: If your helm unit has its own discharge, does it go out the back or side?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Last edited:
Bridge deck unit is same as cabin unit, I believe 16k but. I can run both simultaneously but nothing else while on 30 A shore power. 5.5kw generator actually handles the load better. Each unit has a breaker, plus one for the combined pump. Separate discharge is out the back, helm unit port side and cabin unit stbd.

Thanks for the help

Bridge deck AC

Bridge deck unit is same as cabin unit, I believe 16k but. I can run both simultaneously but nothing else while on 30 A shore power. 5.5kw generator actually handles the load better. Each unit has a breaker, plus one for the combined pump. Separate discharge is out the back, helm unit port side and cabin unit stbd.

On Chardonnay, I have the NexGen 5.5kw generator. In the main cabin she has a Marine Air 12,000 BTU 110v reverse cyle unit. The bridge has a 16,700 BTU Ocean Breeze 110v. reverse cylcle unit.

When we tried running both AC units, she would occasionally blow a capacitor on the genny. After doing this 2 or 3 times, she eventually blew out the entire back end of the genny (the part that makes the electricity). Cost me $3,500 to learn this lesson. Now, I run either AC but NOT both.

On Chardonnay, I have the NexGen 5.5kw generator. In the main cabin she has a Marine Air 12,000 BTU 110v reverse cyle unit. The bridge has a 16,700 BTU Ocean Breeze 110v. reverse cylcle unit.

When we tried running both AC units, she would occasionally blow a capacitor on the genny. After doing this 2 or 3 times, she eventually blew out the entire back end of the genny (the part that makes the electricity). Cost me $3,500 to learn this lesson. Now, I run either AC but NOT both.

Thanks ljk, I will make sure I don’t do that.

I have the same generator as ljk, and while I have run both simultaneously, it was only a couple times, with no other load, for less than an hour. So I too will keep ljk's costly lesson in mind and stick to either one or the other.

Breakers

Hmmmm...no fusing/breaker to prevent overload?

There are breakers on both AC units on the main distribution panel, and dual breakers on the generator.

These did not help.

Back
Top Bottom