2005 Mainship 34 Trawler Window Blinds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Carl

Does anyone know how to remove the 1 inch wood slat window blinds made by Hunter Douglas? The tilt mechanism on the starboard side no longer works. Just get a clicking sound. Seems to be a stripped gear. Can’t find any clips or screws attaching the head liner. This issue was addressed by Bacchus in a post a few years ago. Can’t find the screws he referred to which hold the headliner to a board which is screwed into the overhead ventilation panel. How did Mainship attach these blinds? Any help appreciated!

Screws are just inboard of the top of the blinds. Dont remember exactly but seems like about 4 per blind. The blinds, header of the blinds and a narrow board they are mounted on come down as a unit.
Hunter Douglas was good about supplying parts at no cost.
Mine work OK after some rework but I wish they had the lift and tilt at opposite ends to avoid the tangling of lines.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe my boat is a different year? 2005. Just can’t see or even feel any screws. Could you possibly send a pic? I know it’s a difficult place to access! Next step may be a crowbar!

Correct not an easy place to photograph but here is one rhat came out. The heads on mine are very close to the top header of the blind on the.inboard side. There are 3 or 4 along the length. If the screw heads are not bright they msy not show up as well. Try running a screw driver along the top header of the blind and see if you can feel the heads.
A flashlight really helps spot the screw heads.
And for some reason the board that the blind is mounted to appears much narrower on the stbd side than port... no idea why.
20220731_130957.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Don. You are the best! Going to the boat tomorrow with renewed hope. This particular blind happens to be on the starboard side. So tight I can barely get my hand in there. Oh I understand what you’re saying about removal being the easy part. It will be a nightmare to put back up. But at least I know what I’m looking for now. ��

Those two question marks were supposed to be a thumbs up emoji. Just shows I don’t know how to operate this iPad either!

You really need 2 people to get it back in. I was able to get it out alone by leaving the center screw till last. Going back in is a challenge to get it aligned and one screw started. A nail or screw partially through might help find the hole then screw in another to lock the position.

And make sure you are holding your mouth correctly at the time…

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom