Shaft removal 34 DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rated Aargh

I’m rebuilding the PSS dripless, I have the everything loose flange removed from shaft, all dripless items loose, prop off, cutlass flange off and new cutlass on its way.
Problem is I can’t get the shaft out, I was told that the shaft would go through the “hole” in the rudder but it doesn’t! Do I have to take apart stearing linkage to get the rudder to turn more, I thought there’s mechanical rudder stops? Or do I have to remove the rudder also?
I’m tempted to just cut the hole in the rudder bigger vs remove the rudder.

Any insight from experience would be great. Thank you.

How much bigger is the hole in the rudder than shaft diameter?

Sometimes the rudder angle is critical to getting the shaft through as the hole offset starts to misalign....and sometimes you have to take the linkage off like you posted. There....block the rudder from dropping and take the linkage off from the top of the rudder post so you swing it to any angle.

Last edited:
Psneeld: I can get the threads through the rudder but where the taper starts is where the shaft stops. The hole dia is large enough just the angle of the dangle don’t line up.

Have you tried different rudder angles?

If not able to achieve 90 degrees, does it look like that may do it?

If so, take the linkage off as I posted above.

If still no.... then dig a hole if possible, if not get the yard to lift the stern to drop the rudder.

Have you looked in the lazarette to see what stop the rudder from turning? That is where my stops are.

I also will be pulling my shaft soon but my rudder is already off.

Lazarette.jpg

Only pictures I really have. The quadrant is hanging and the stops are on the bulkhead. This is prior to some work I did last winter.

Greetings,
Mr. RA. IF the "pass through" hole in the rudder normally has an anode (zinc) in it, I see no reason not to enlarge the hole (after trying all possible rudder angles-see next paragraph) and covering it with a larger anode on completion. Probably the easiest IMO.

As Mr. CO suggested, removing the quadrant or stops may give you that needed little bit.

Back
Top Bottom