Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #1

City: near flint,mi
Fu Hwa Construction/trawlers

Hello, I am looking for a Asian Company named Fu Hwa or Fu Hwa Hong. I understand they presently make trawlers,or have made them in the past. I have seen some posts to that effect. Anyone who knows of this Company please post here.Thank you.
Rmankty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
The Fu Hwa boatyard is no longer in business. Fu Hwa, Chung Hwa and Chien Hwa were a three boat group owned by Y. F. Lee. Only Chung Hwa (also known as CHB) survived.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #3

Thank you very much for information and quick reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
The Fu Hwa boatyard is no longer in business. Fu Hwa, Chung Hwa and Chien Hwa were a three boat group owned by Y. F. Lee. Only Chung Hwa (also known as CHB) survived.
Do you happen to know,or have links to someone who may know the history of The Fu Hwa boatyard? I am doing research on a company known as FU HWA HONG a company involved in breaking-up ships in Hong Kong during ,at least, the year 1950. I am wondering if these companies were related? I am doing personal family research,my father was assigned to a vessel during WW2 that was sold after the war and broken-up in 1950 by this Company. I would like to find any "particulars" or details about this Company or this vessel SS Camden/SSComet/USATComet/Wansu/Ya Sung(all the same ship).Thank you very much for your assistance!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Guru

The Fu Hwa I am familiar with was located near Taipei, Taiwan. I have not been able to locate much information on the company other than they made boats for Kadey Krogen and others in addition to their own label. My suspicion is they started out making fishing boats for the Japanese and then branched out into trawlers then got closed in the late 80's due to currency revaluations.

I am not aware of the Fu Hwa Hong of which you seek.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Thank you again,very much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
The Fu Hwa I am familiar with was located near Taipei, Taiwan. I have not been able to locate much information on the company other than they made boats for Kadey Krogen and others in addition to their own label. My suspicion is they started out making fishing boats for the Japanese and then branched out into trawlers then got closed in the late 80's due to currency revaluations.

I am not aware of the Fu Hwa Hong of which you seek.
I have contacted libraries in Hong Kong and Taiwan to obtain reference material. I have contacted historical societies in Shanghai,and Hong Kong as well, so far,no one has been able to respond with anything. I dont know if that is due to poor record keeping or what. Thank you again. Let me ask you this,is Fu Hwa a common name(s)?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
Guru

Common name? Not that I am aware of. Fu is a letter in the Japanese Katakana alphabet and I assume also Chinese phonetic letter. I am clueless what Hwa means or stands for.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #7

City: Western WA
Could FuHua Shipbuilding in Ningbo China be what you're looking for?

Ningbo FuHua Shipbuilding Industry Co., Ltd.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Kent Narrows, MD
Vessel Name: Doctail
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmankty View Post
Hello, I am looking for a Asian Company named Fu Hwa or Fu Hwa Hong. I understand they presently make trawlers,or have made them in the past. I have seen some posts to that effect. Anyone who knows of this Company please post here.Thank you.
We have a 42 FuHwa, 1986. They were building boats in Taiwan in the 70's and 80's and exporting them to the US as Nova Sundeck, or Marine Trader. If you bought them direct from Taiwan as ours was, it stayed registered with that name.
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Belmont, CA,
Vessel Name: Se la Vi 2
Vessel Model: FuHwa, 35 feet, built aka a Taiwan Tub
We have a 1988 35 foot FuHwa tri-cabin which was advertised as a Golden Star. It was imported and commissioned by British Marine of Alameda, CA. We are the third owners since 2005.
88FuHwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Rockport, Ontario
Vessel Model: 1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
We have a 1986 Fu HWA Oceania 35 Sundeck. There is a plate on the wall in the chain locker that said it was made by the Fu HWA Boat Company.
Oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #11

City: St. Petersburg
Golden Star

I discovered this old posting regarding your Fu Hwa Golden Star trawler. I'm very familiar with lots of CHB boats but never heard of this one. I'm looking at a 1988 42 Golden Star and would like to ask if you have any opinions to offer. I can only find few comments regarding these boats and their history. Any comments you can offer will be greatly appreciated. This Golden Star has 1992 Cummins 6bta 5.9 M2 twin engines. That's what i like most about this boat!!
Are these boats constructed of all fiberglass hull or fiberglass covering wood?? How do they handle when underway?
Thank you so much for your time!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88FuHwa View Post
We have a 1988 35 foot FuHwa tri-cabin which was advertised as a Golden Star. It was imported and commissioned by British Marine of Alameda, CA. We are the third owners since 2005.
ervonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #12

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: High Noon V / SV Evelyn
Vessel Model: Golden Star 42 / Ericson 30 / Yard full of trailer boats
Currently have a '89 42' Golden Star. Docked next to a Jefferson even the trim stripes match up.

Handling, well, handles like a trawler, surfs like a turtle. Auto pilot installation is the next upgrade. Otherwise a heavy following sea will work you to exhaustion.
The Cummins are a nice feature. Enjoy!
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervonna View Post
I discovered this old posting regarding your Fu Hwa Golden Star trawler. I'm very familiar with lots of CHB boats but never heard of this one. I'm looking at a 1988 42 Golden Star and would like to ask if you have any opinions to offer. I can only find few comments regarding these boats and their history. Any comments you can offer will be greatly appreciated. This Golden Star has 1992 Cummins 6bta 5.9 M2 twin engines. That's what i like most about this boat!!
Are these boats constructed of all fiberglass hull or fiberglass covering wood?? How do they handle when underway?
Thank you so much for your time!!!!
Back in the day, maybe still, the Taiwan yards apparently lent each other molds so boats came from different yards and looked alike. They are all quite close in quality as a lot of the workers moved from yard to yard depending on workload. Look at the individual boat and how it has held up and was maintained. 6BTs are a great engine. God luck.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:44 AM   #14
Guru

I have a 44 Chung wha also planning on autopilot with unit have you decided on?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #15

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: High Noon V / SV Evelyn
Vessel Model: Golden Star 42 / Ericson 30 / Yard full of trailer boats
Just posted to power systems about the AP to keep from stealing this thread.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote