Squealing fenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftbinc

Vessel Name
Oma
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogan\Manatee
How do others handle squeaking fenders? The Admiral is complaining it wakes her up at night. We use 24 inch balls because of the shape of the Manatee’s hull.

We are thinking of covers for the balls but we are not sure if the deflating and reinflating a couple of times a year to install the covers would shorten their life.

How have others handled the squeaking and the covering of fenders?

Does anyone have a better idea them covers?

TIA
Paul
KK Manatee ‘OMA’

I use fender covers and it definitely make a big difference. Fenders also last longer. My preference for docking is horizontal tubes which tend to move around less.

Ted

I once read that a small squirt of liquid dish soap will quiet that down. Never tried it.

I have put a shot of cooking oil on the fender.

pete

A 24” ball fender would take a lot of dish soap or cooking oil to be effective when it moves around.

If you haven’t washed the fenders lately, try giving it/them a good scrub with soap. Clean plastic sometime squeaks less. Otherwise, fender covers are probably your answer.

I like Spray 9 for cleaning fenders. As to covers you might try a cheap sweatshirt for the 24” ball fender. If you like having a cover then you can spring for something more elegant.

Back
Top Bottom