Fire suppression system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wdeertz

Vessel Name
Bagus
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 52-01
My new to me boat has 2 separate fire suppression systems, one for the main engine room and a separate system for the generator in a sound enclosure. The survey report noted that both systems did not have current inspection stickers and the line to the generator was capped. The prior owner had the system inspected prior to closing and both systems now have current inspection stickers. However the line going inside the generator sound enclosure still has what appears to be a cap on it. (See photo) Or at least this appears to be a cap, maybe its some sort of temperature sensor. I wouldn’t think the company that inspected the system would have put a current sticker on the system if this cap was preventing the discharge.

Before removing can anyone advise what sort of nozzle should be on the end of this line?

Attachments

• E2F03F95-E210-4722-AAE7-56D7C43BDD19.jpg
    E2F03F95-E210-4722-AAE7-56D7C43BDD19.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 831F7924-B70C-495C-893B-EB937BAD5D07.jpg
    831F7924-B70C-495C-893B-EB937BAD5D07.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 26
That's a Seafire system, don't remove the end of the hose, the hose is pressurized with extinguishing agent. It's designed to burn open in case of fire.

Usually the end of the hose is lightly wire tied to the anti siphon loop on a Northern Lights.

Last edited:
That's a Seafire system, don't remove the end of the hose, the hose is pressurized with extinguishing agent. It's designed to burn open in case of fire.

Usually the end of the hose is lightly wire tied to the anti siphon loop on a Northern Lights.

Thanks for the info, so glad I checked and didn’t just try to remove. I would have had a mess in my engine room. ?

No mess. Sea-Fire uses Novec 1230. It is a clean agent similar to the old halons.

Are there regular spray jets around the engines?

I've also seen similar lines used as sense lines to open the main retardant valve. Similar to above, if the signal line gets hot enough to burst, the pressure drop activates the main system.

Either way, I wouldn't remove the cap. Ours were DCP so dont ask me how I know they do make a mess if there is a system leak. A big mess. ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom