Beginner Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrbrown

Hello,

We're nearing the next stage of our life plans and looking at two long term on the water options: Sailing catamaran or trawler.

We owned a few boats before but new to these catagories and in the process of learning.

We'll be in Clearwater for a week in April. What's the best approach to see 40-50 ft trawlers and start conversations with experts? We'd like to get on the boats and get a feel for the space and layout. We don't see many trawlers for sale in New Hampshire.

Advice on where to start? Could anyone refer a broker in the area if that's a good option?

Thanks
Chris

Welcome aboard. Definitely go with a trawler, just kidding. While TrawlerFests aren’t as good as they used to be, it may help if you are new to the trawler life. Curtis Stokes usually has quite a few trawlers listed.

While it is always fun to talk to an owner, just walking down a marina pier (if you can even get in them anymore through the security gates now prevalent) in hopes of running into a friendly owner not too busy with whatever is happening on the boat is not likely to work. Getting aboard, nah. Getting in touch with a broker now will get you what you want. Going to Trawlerfests (check the google god) is probably the best you'll do. - that and hanging around here.

Welcome aboard, btw. :)

Hello,

We're nearing the next stage of our life plans and looking at two long term on the water options: Sailing catamaran or trawler.

We owned a few boats before but new to these catagories and in the process of learning.

We'll be in Clearwater for a week in April. What's the best approach to see 40-50 ft trawlers and start conversations with experts? We'd like to get on the boats and get a feel for the space and layout. We don't see many trawlers for sale in New Hampshire.

Advice on where to start? Could anyone refer a broker in the area if that's a good option?

Thanks
Chris

Go to Sarasota and charter one for the week.

Sadly, you probably won't see much in a Trawlerfest these days. Nor the Newport Int'l show. I went to the Newport show last year and boats to see was a slim list. The Newport Trawlerfest was canceled because they could not round up enough boats to form a show. Buyer interest is high, so sales inventory is low. There are not many boats sitting around looking for a buyer. But, when shows near you come around just look at the online list of boats that will be there and maybe the one for you will be there.

Shows are a good idea, but an idea hard to implement. An airfare and hotel investment in going to the biggest show in Ft Lauderdale might be worth it for you.

Welcome to the board.

If you can you get to Florida a little earlier, I think the boat show in West Palm Beach run until the end of March. There's usually a little of everything there....new/used...big/small....sail/power. If you filter out all the puffery, you can learn a lot from a sales pitch. When they say their boat is the perfect boat because of X and Y, if you weren't aware of X and Y, now you are. Its little things, like a sales pitch may say "the salon and the galley are all on one level". You may never have considered that a significant factor but now you can think about it and include it or dismiss it for your needs. There are usually finance and insurance companies there as well, and their information can be helpful too.
West Palm is a great city to visit. Lots of hotels from cheap to luxury, small easy airport with flights from everywhere and its only a 3.5-4 hour drive to Clearwater.

If you can you get to Florida a little earlier, I think the boat show in West Palm Beach run until the end of March. There's usually a little of everything there....new/used...big/small....sail/power. If you filter out all the puffery, you can learn a lot from a sales pitch. When they say their boat is the perfect boat because of X and Y, if you weren't aware of X and Y, now you are. Its little things, like a sales pitch may say "the salon and the galley are all on one level". You may never have considered that a significant factor but now you can think about it and include it or dismiss it for your needs. There are usually finance and insurance companies there as well, and their information can be helpful too.
West Palm is a great city to visit. Lots of hotels from cheap to luxury, small easy airport with flights from everywhere and its only a 3.5-4 hour drive to Clearwater.
Thanks, that's good advice. I like to listen to people explaining why their product is the best. You're right, a great way to consider what we don't know yet.

My wife works in the local school, so our April vacation time is locked this year. Will look to do that east coast trip in the future. Thanks

My wife works in the local school, so our April vacation time is locked this year. Will look to do that east coast trip in the future. Thanks

The New England Boat is in Boston in February. That would just be a day trip for you, but you won't see as many boats.

Here’s a YouTube of a quick walk through of Trawlerfest 2022 in Stuart Florida.
Not much there.
https://youtu.be/BUplh4rO1oI
Compared to 2019…
https://youtu.be/a5OqWHSPVas
I also recommend watching YouTube sale tours of various trawlers as well to get a sense.
Thanks, I'll look at those videos. We did not know about Trawlerfest so thanks to everyone who mentioned it. Hopefully things get back to normal from now on.

We've been watching those walk through YouTube videos. We like the DeFever Pilot House style ?

MTOA has their Rendezvous in Fernandina Beach on the 11th of April. There were 8 spots available as of yesterday so might be worth considering. MTOA has a lot of former sailors so you can get good perspectives. There boats won’t be for sale, but it will be a great opportunity to see trawlers up front and speak directly with their owners who use their boats . Curtis Stokes and his team of brokers will also be around so you can meet him personally. PM if you want to attend and run into issues.

https://mtoa.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=4002&club_id=750660&item_id=1622446

MTOA has their Rendezvous in Fernandina Beach on the 11th of April. There were 8 spots available as of yesterday so might be worth considering. MTOA has a lot of former sailors so you can get good perspectives. There boats won’t be for sale, but it will be a great opportunity to see trawlers up front and speak directly with their owners who use their boats . Curtis Stokes and his team of brokers will also be around so you can meet him personally. PM if you want to attend and run into issues.

https://mtoa.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=4002&club_id=750660&item_id=1622446

Thanks for this info. We'll miss the April dates but I'll add a reminder to look for when MTOA meets again.

The New England Boat is in Boston in February. That would just be a day trip for you, but you won't see as many boats.
Thanks. We've been going to the Boston boat show over the years. Not a lot in this category, but still makes for a fun day.

Note that sailors motor much of the time. A 40 Ft sailing cat would not be able to navigate the ICW due to mast height. Offshore only. There are very few marinas that can haul a 40' cat. Dock space is a problem due to the width. Cats are spacious and monohulls can't compete on that criteria.

If I were looking at 40' boats I would spend several weeks in Miami area and tour every boat between Miami and Ft Lauderdale through multiple brokers. You will find one broker that you can work with and will narrow down the type of boat that will work for you and your wife.

Yachtworld listings will help you narrow down the search. Once in FL you may be able to physically visit 2 or 3 per day.

Call the manufacturer or regional dealer for a brand you’re potentially interested in. Of course they’ll want to get you in to a new boat but often know which boats are coming up for sale even before they’re listed in YW or BT. Our experience was you may even get to go on a brief ride on a owner’s boat who maintains a relationship with the dealer. That was true for nordhavn and nordic tug when we were looking. Think fact that they knew we were actual buyers with cash on hand rather than tire kickers made that happen.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard TF
A good place to start here at TF is Boat Search 101 https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/boat-search-101-a-14905.html

I always recommend to those starting out to do some homework...
Commit to writing what you expect your style to be - how and where will you use the boat
- What are your Must Haves?
- What are your Want to haves?
- What Don't You Want?

Have your SO do the same independently first, then compare notes, really try to understand each other and combine / compromise - be sure to think about those things you will be best to just do it her way!

Then with those lists try to get on as many boats as possible - asking owners how they use theirs and what they like / would change will provide insights.
Realize that what some like may be one of your don't wants (or visa versa) if your style of use is different.
The more boats you see the more you can refine your lists. I would strongly advise chartering at some point, probably best after you think you know approx. what you want want and can find something close.
Lastly - make the searching fun NOT work. Plan some flex time and mini vacations while visiting areas with possible boats to view.

+! for what Bacchus said!!!!!
Also, learn about (or be aware of) other boating concerns like shortage of marina slips or storage locations (worse in some areas having long wait lists), and possible insurance issues. Insurance issues may stem from a lack of experience owning, and using larger boats, with many Insurance Companies requiring extensive training, time with a Captain, etc. Also insurance could be hard to obtain for "older" boats. All things that should be considered as part of the process.
Good luck and Welcome to the Forum

My other recommendation is to look up and join a local Americas Boating Club Chapter (aka US Power Squadron). You are fortunate with one fairly close by.
https://www.usps.org/index.php/sss-home
Various benefits besides taking a few classes. You instantly expand your local network of folks with similar interests and generally a wealth of experience & knowledge for your local area. You find may one or more that would provide a tour, appreciate a hand with a chore in return for some one on one sharing, etc.

Lol.. if it wasn't for the price of diesel it would be an easy choice

So if Diesel were $3/gal, what would the easy choice be?

Buying a boat is much more difficult than buying a house or a car. The post suggesting MTOA rendezvous was stellar. Chartering was another good suggestion.

Right now, the market isn't kind to tire-kickers, even well-intentioned ones. In the past, sales' cycle on boats was lengthy (2-years is not uncommon) so a broker would invest in a buyer. Not now - maybe again soon, but not now. You will need a way to educate yourself into a qualified buyer. At least until the market returns to normal (which it might be doing as I write). Chartering, MTOA Rendezvous, TrawlerFest, and Boat Shows are your best bet for the time being.

Peter

My other recommendation is to look up and join a local Americas Boating Club Chapter (aka US Power Squadron). You are fortunate with one fairly close by.
https://www.usps.org/index.php/sss-home
Various benefits besides taking a few classes. You instantly expand your local network of folks with similar interests and generally a wealth of experience & knowledge for your local area. You find may one or more that would provide a tour, appreciate a hand with a chore in return for some one on one sharing, etc.
Thanks I see the one here in Portsmouth have a good education selection. Looks like a good start for us. I'll definitely connect with them.

Hello,

Thanks
Chris

You definitely won’t see many trawlers for sale up here in the winter. However, once spring comes around you will see the years “crop” hit the listings. If you’re still looking come May, I’d be happy to show you around my trawler and talk about what I’ve learned about the life.

Ken

You definitely won’t see many trawlers for sale up here in the winter. However, once spring comes around you will see the years “crop” hit the listings. If you’re still looking come May, I’d be happy to show you around my trawler and talk about what I’ve learned about the life.

Ken
Ken, thanks for the info. I may take you up on that offer closer to summer time. It would be great to have conversation and learn from your experiences.

So if Diesel were $3/gal, what would the easy choice be?

Buying a boat is much more difficult than buying a house or a car. The post suggesting MTOA rendezvous was stellar. Chartering was another good suggestion.

Right now, the market isn't kind to tire-kickers, even well-intentioned ones. In the past, sales' cycle on boats was lengthy (2-years is not uncommon) so a broker would invest in a buyer. Not now - maybe again soon, but not now. You will need a way to educate yourself into a qualified buyer. At least until the market returns to normal (which it might be doing as I write). Chartering, MTOA Rendezvous, TrawlerFest, and Boat Shows are your best bet for the time being.

Peter
That's good to know. Thanks Peter. Yes, we have a few years ahead of and hopefully the market settled back to normal by then. We have a lot to learn in the mean time ��

Many sailors have moved to Trawlers with age. I'm not sure if many power boaters moved to sailing with age. Do you have sailing experience?
I've been a power boater my whole life and I starting sailing later in life. Definitely sailing requires more of a learning curve than power boating. (Not to mean that cruising a Trawler does not require ongoing learning and experience). I only bring this up, as you mention a choice between a Catamaran sailboat and a Trawler.

Starting up in the later stages of life, a Trawler would be the simpler way to go.
With in-mast furling's, power winches, etc., sailing doesn't have be as physical as it once was and has a lower operating cost due to low fuel consumption. However, before making the commitment, find a charter (like Moorings) and go sailing for a week or try one of the fractional ownership companies to try it for a season. I love sailing, but not enough to give up my Trawler. Besides, my wife wouldn't hear of it!

Enjoy!

Bill

I suggest you take a look at Zimmerman Marine Buyer’s Broker program.

Cat va Trawler

I work for the Harbor Patrol part time on Catalina Island I help boaters pick up moorings. The biggest issue I face is the persons boat does not match the physical ability of the owner. I have sailed a cat and own a trawler. I am in my mid 70s and like the configuration of the trawler with ease of walking forward and helm side door to get out and forward.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom