Zinc sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmm

I just joined this forum..looking for help. Just took ownership of a ‘77 38 Californian w/ twin Perkins..my first self-appointed duty is to replace Zincs because they haven’t been done in a couple years, and I haven’t clue of wheel shaft sizes or rudder and trim tab sizes or quantity..my only option is to use a diver, and he insists on owner procurement of said Zincs beforehand or pay for a double dive and appt. ..available items are available 3-6 hrs and 100+mi round trip to nearest stock..dry haul is not a feasible option…yet. Thanks to any and all help ..and no, previous owner kept no such records??!

You can measure shaft size from inside the boat. You should be able to see the zinc’s on the back and trim tabs from the dock. If you can’t see the rudder zinc then just go with a 5” round.

Reactions: Rmm
If you can't see the trim tabs to measure, 3" round would probably work. If you've got a thruster, the thruster manual will probably tell you what anode to use for that. You might have a transom anode, maybe Diver's Dream of likely size.

We get ours from boatzincs.com, and use R-3s for tabs, R-4s (5" round) for the rudders.

You'll have some combination of anodes for engine heat exchanger, oil or gear oil coolers, etc. Probably somebody with your Perkins engines can help with that, if you don't know already. Ditto generator.

-Chris

Reactions: Rmm
Thanks so much all for insight and response.I will get plenty of standard 3 and 4’s and a 4-6” drivers dream, return what I don’t need..I was too brief in my query..I’m ( along with zinc access) in Anchorage 60 miles, thru a toll tunnel, and a half day away from my boat in a slip in Whittier..Diver is in Whittier , so I’m unable to caliper shaft on boat Before I go down..was hoping someone had that info.Any one having the same 38’ Californian , same engines, same vintage? I love this forum.. much kinder than some of the guitar, vintage tube amps, moto, and others I belong to..just sayin. Thanks

You can measure shaft size from inside the boat. You should be able to see the zinc’s on the back and trim tabs from the dock. If you can’t see the rudder zinc then just go with a 5” round.
Thanks so much..very helpful..appreciate much Rmm

If you can't see the trim tabs to measure, 3" round would probably work. If you've got a thruster, the thruster manual will probably tell you what anode to use for that. You might have a transom anode, maybe Diver's Dream of likely size.

We get ours from boatzincs.com, and use R-3s for tabs, R-4s (5" round) for the rudders.

You'll have some combination of anodes for engine heat exchanger, oil or gear oil coolers, etc. Probably somebody with your Perkins engines can help with that, if you don't know already. Ditto generator.

-Chris
Thanks a bunch..appreciate ya. Rmm

-Chris
Thanks for your input Chris. I actually have the 1977 1 1/2” thick Perkins manual ..shows every nut, screw, ring, plate, piston, valve..how to hand rebuild etc In detail..I cannot find any addressing of zinc placement, on heat exchanger or any where..any insight from Perkins owners would help..thank again to trawler community..I’ll for sure post info when I’m done to any interested party(s).
Regards, Rmm

Cheers.

Sometimes "engine" zincs are on the bolt-ons -- heat exchanger, gear oil coolers, etc. -- so maybe that could be a reason anodes aren't mentioned in the base engine manual.

Just a guess... but our engine manual is silent on anodes, too... for that reason...

-Chris

This is from memory, which is rather questionable at this point in time.
I had a 1974 DeFever with 2 Perkins 6.354 diesels. Each engine had a pencil
zinc on the underneath of the exhaust manifold and a pencil zinc on the
round heat exchanger. It's a place to look anyway.
Jim

This is from memory, which is rather questionable at this point in time.
I had a 1974 DeFever with 2 Perkins 6.354 diesels. Each engine had a pencil
zinc on the underneath of the exhaust manifold and a pencil zinc on the
round heat exchanger. It's a place to look anyway.
Jim
Thanks..going exploring..

Back
Top Bottom