Yanmar Spares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoMo

Vessel Make
GL 39 Hybrid
We take delivery of our new GL39 Hybrid at Marina Portoroz in Slovenia in July this year. We plan to cruise the Adriatic and Med for a few years before repatriating it to Sydney Australia. I have a friend who is about to take ownership of a new Nordhavn 41 and he's "all over it". For instance, he has researched and then purchased a range of engine spares, including filters, impellers, belts, etc. I have a couple of questions. Firstly, are such measures considered typical for a GL hybrid cruising mainly coastal cruising, as there are essentially two modes of propulsion. And if so what range of spares might be considered. And second, is it possible to void warrantees by an (unlicensed) owner performing maintenance on the new diesel engine?

I think your friend is right. He may go to far as some do but you should think about breakdowns even with new boats. In fact some of the most vulnerable are caused by those teething problems which show up after delivery.

Also carry some tools to deal with the more common goof ups or you may be stuck for an otherwise relatively simple problem. Wrenches, screwdrivers, socket set(s) , good flashlight, knee pads, filter wrench, spare oil and buckets. I could go on of course but talk to your friend. Maybe he is super cautious but maybe he had some experience with being stuck.

Air filters, oil filters, belts, maybe a raw water pump or the parts to repair it. AND the tools to do at least minimal repairs. Without anything you may be stuck for a relatively simple problem and for a lengthy stay. Seen it happen. You can't cover for everything but to carry nothing is I think, a foolish decision.

I will also mention , personal quirk maybe, but if someone I see needs help and they have NOTHING then I may not hang around even though I do carry a lot of tools because THEY need spares and manuals and don't have them. I have helped people so far when needed but there were a couple of boats I darn near left them when at a marina.

Manuals are also needed and very important without which a repair may be in question even if they have the parts and tools.

Thanks. I spose some guys wouldn't know the difference between a left handed screw driver and a right handed screwdriver, so setting them loose on an expensive marine diesel mightn't be the best idea. I'm pretty handy so will look to get some basic spares and a range of tools. Still, be good to know how the manufacturer/dealer would view maintenance conducted by a non-licensed handyman in respect of honoring the warrantees?

A non licensed handyman often can do a better job than a full time “mechanic”. I never heard of a handyman’s work voiding a warranty.

David

If you are stuck away from help due to a breakdown then I think the boat builder is irresponsible if they refuse your claim.

What I think you are missing here a bit is the boats I have seen stuck did NOT have any tools, manuals or parts but they had willing and competent help with tools available including a trained mechanic. But the catch was they had no parts to use so all the help was useless.

Of course you could still be stuck but at least try to cover yourself.

Back
Top Bottom