Why pay more for a Rule Float Switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle Blues

Vessel Name
High Noon V / SV Evelyn
Vessel Make
Golden Star 42 / Ericson 30 / Yard full of trailer boats
Because they work.
Pic of cheap internet special thay doesn't return.

Attachments

• 20231016_145758.jpg
    20231016_145758.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 45
I but some stuff on eBay or Amazon that are not the name brands for non critical uses. A bilge pump or float switch? Nope. Amazon does have a lot of name brand boat stuff though, I usually look there first.

Several years ago I did a market survey of sorts, asking here and elsewhere for comments about float switches.

Ultra Safety Switches came first on all 4 or 5 fora.

Swing arm switches like in the picture came approx last in the order of things. In my own experience, since they no longer use mercury, they no longer work all that long at all. Including Rule brand.

-Chris

I prefer Johnson Pumps brand.

Those float swing arm switches used to be good when they were mercury. Contacts not so much.

Yeah Ultra or pneumatic for me. Yeah, costs more - :)

Lot depends on how often they run.

My two compartments are essentially dry and can go 6 months without cycling (usually a freshwater plumbing leak). So other than annual testing they are rarely used. The Rule switches work fine in this application. The float switch in my shower and sink sump cycles maybe 10 times per day. That can increase several fold with guests. Have replaced the Rule switch once. Next time it gets a pressure / vacuum HVAC switch. Not high enough on the project list to do as a PM.

Ted

Several years ago I did a market survey of sorts, asking here and elsewhere for comments about float switches.

Ultra Safety Switches came first on all 4 or 5 fora.

Swing arm switches like in the picture came approx last in the order of things. In my own experience, since they no longer use mercury, they no longer work all that long at all. Including Rule brand.

-Chris
Especially the rule brand. I've had 3 or 4 fail in the orange position and it runs the pump until the pump itself Burns up

Mercury switches were perfect for bilge pump switches. The government outlawed them.

When I was selling Rule switches I actually got a much higher return rate on the Mercury switches than I did on the ones that replaced them. It wasn’t the mercury switch that failed but the wires. They would flex sharply each time the switch went up and down. The wire strands would break inside the insulation. The newer ones have their own problems but usually outlast their warranty.

When I was selling Rule switches I actually got a much higher return rate on the Mercury switches than I did on the ones that replaced them. It wasn’t the mercury switch that failed but the wires. They would flex sharply each time the switch went up and down. The wire strands would break inside the insulation. The newer ones have their own problems but usually outlast their warranty.

The correct wire would have been the woven wire similar to what is use on loudspeakers from the terminals to the voice coils. Old telephone cords used it as well. Wire strands are woven over string. Tough to solder, but very flexible.

I have noticed that Rule uses what seems like really junky wire on their switches and pumps. Whenever I strip it for an install it seems low quality. Kind of powdery under the insulation even on a new pump.

I used to put chlorine bleach based products in my sumps thinking that it would help to control odor. The problem is that I kept going through Float Switches about every year. When I switched to Raritans "Clean Potties" as an enzymatic treatment for sump cleanliness, the float switch failures completely stopped. Going several years now without failure. Peggy was the one who suggested Clean Potties. I just put about a 1/4 cup in the shower drain when I leave the boat and let it do its thing. Absolutely no smell and I no longer have to go into the shower sump to clean it out or replace float switches. I realize this is anecdotal experience, but I wanted to pass it on.

Back
Top Bottom