Why Move from Sailboat to Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK I am done. I asked this and other general questions to learn something not in my experience and am tired of feeling like it is a battle.

Don, I have followed along and must say you have made it a battle, not just this thread, the question was answered and then the question changed, or new thread started.
The fact that most here were former sail boaters speaks volumes that there was a reason to change, and many stated the reasons. You have not found that reason yet. Good luck.

I am a trawler person, for comfort. I am not trying to prove anything by being cold and wet.
I applaud those who do not want to move to a trawler. You are a better man than I.

DonL definitely made it a battle.

Reasons to switch or not.... are personal and very dependent.

You take what does or may apply and move on.... if you need to be "convinced" you don't have enough of a base to even apply some.

The real first question is liveaboard or short/mid term cruiser. 6.5 years on one type of boat in one location isjust the beginning of understanding long term cruising or liveaboard. Even if a relatively fast learner.

Back in post #21 thas was in DonL's post "trying to decide if I am thinking of changing on a whim so am trying to identify what I expect to gain."

If on a whim or wondering whether there is a gain based on huge variables.... you will never get to an answer.

Last edited:
Inline comments:

The only reason to have a sailboat to cruise on really is you like to sail. Right - several folks have mentioned this too. Sailboats are a good choice for folks who love sailing.

I like to sail and if I got to sail more while cruising in ways that that didn't turn my wife aganist me I would not be asking about trawlers. I see......this is also a common reflection in this and threads like this: spouse puts their foot down on sailing. Sounds like you have the perfect boat for you and you're not thrilled with idea of changing.....now I understand the 'battle' comments.

Last edited:
Not interested in playing "pick the phase for the battle while putting in a dig". This is post 126 and people are quoting a line from #21, come on!

Sorry so many of you ex-sailors chose the wrong boat. That is a common thread in "which sailboat threads"

BTW it is ME leaving the way to change not my wife.

Last edited:
Mindset is quite a bit of decision making and discussing serious topics.

Sorry, I meant post #24 but the quote is there. It's less than a week ago and the average response is exactly what I am saying too.

Not every response applies to all sailboats or trawlers or usage thereof.

So just absorb and apply to the decision is one feels confident in their experience with the past and future of their cruising/liveaboard habits.

Pointing out every little difference is evidence either one doesn't believe most posts or doesn't see how they apply....not necessarily in all cases.

I guess I'm not seeing (or recognizing?) a "battle"... nor do I see anyone trying to convince OP their view is the only true path to righteousness.

Don asked about why folks might change... and a boatload of folks answered why they changed (or chose a trawler in the first place)... and potential pros/cons they see from their wheelhouse.

But I don't think anyone here really cares whether OP changes or not, agrees with every little point or not, or why or why not. Near as I can tell, everything's been meant as fodder for rumination...

Consideration of each "data" point (or ignoring thereof) and the outcome of said rumination (if any) is sorta beside the point... and everyone here seems to know that already.

-Chris

Last edited:
I guess I'm not seeing (or recognizing?) a "battle"... nor do I see anyone trying to convince OP their view is the only true path to righteousness.

Don asked about why folks might change... and a boatload of folks answered why they changed (or chose a trawler in the first place)... and potential pros/cons they see from their wheelhouse.

But I don't think anyone here really cares whether OP changes or not, agrees with every little point or not, or why or why not. Near as I can tell, everything's been meant as fodder for rumination...

Consideration of each "data" point (or ignoring thereof) and the outcome of said rumination (if any) is sorta beside the point... and everyone here seems to know that already.

-Chris

Agree Chris....

This statement in Don L's last post is what is so out of line in my opinion....

"OK I am done. I asked this and other general questions to learn something not in my experience and am tired of feeling like it is a battle."

It sounds like too many other posters on TF that if you disagree with them and don't back down (and they really cant support with overwhelming experience to support it)...they stomp off in indignation.

Just happened in tis thread too.... by JYoung

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/vandalism-just-people-being-rude-67904-5.html

Last edited:
I chimed in earlier to give my thought. My wife says that it seemed when we took long voyages it felt like the men made it a challenge against nature. She loves the privacy, double private staterooms, showers, fans, cooking amenities and not trying to walk across a boat heeling over at 20 degrees. She just loves having a/c and decreased humidity it brings. It has given her a happy smile of approval the entire time we are aboard. She loves view from the upper helm. That has been enough to make the change feel like a wise decision. After 50m years of sailing, I have lost some muscle strength and winching halyards and sheets has gotten more difficult. Trawler life is different, but the knowledge and experiences is rewarding. most people agree that we do it because it's fun. If it's not fun, donj't do it. Remember, Life's a party-if you don't show up.................well, it;s not like you weren;t invited!

It sounds like too many other posters on TF that if you disagree with them and don't back down (and really cant support overwhelming experience to support it)...they stomp off in indignation.

See in that is where you could not just provide your opinion and move along without tossing out a zinger. Then you can come back for another after the person who got zinged responds.

See in that is where you could not just provide your opinion and move along without tossing out a zinger. Then you can come back for another after the person who got zinged responds.

And your point?

People were just trying to help and you got indignant.

No zingers involved. just pointing out what I interpret.

Wow Don - you got a lot of good advice on this thread, not sure why it's irritated you so much. Like anything on the internet, it's worth the price you paid for it & you can take it or leave it - I don't think anyone on the thread will be upset one way or another.

Just talkin' 'bout boats...

If that is what you think great.

I do think that and at least one other did too...and I just went back and reread some of your last posts.

I would say they are flat out incorrect when applied to all vessels of whatever design.

One of my reoccurring pieces of advice on this forum is to take a lot of posts with the understanding that many posts come from limited thinking/experience.

So you don't like many answers or opinions here.

That's OK...but you called it a battle which it's not and no reason to come off indignant. Just another's opinion or experience.

Learn/adjust/think or not.

Last edited:
man I provided stuff for you to post about, is that not what you want? Not like I make you keep posting

maybe take some of you own advise and reread you posts of "advise" and note how offen you had to had an insult to something in it

Keep asking the same question until you get the answer you want.

On one view, right from the outset,the OP was less interested in the nominated subject and more interested in demonstrating the advantages (he perceives) of sailing over trawlering.

you win, thanks

What did I win?

I didn't realise it was a contest, I was merely pointing out that your claim of, trawlers drawing less than yachts is not always true.
Especially real, full displacement trawlers.

I moved my boating platform from sail to trawler when I experienced a change in admirals. There are times when I really do miss sailing but I also love putt-putting around and finding new projects to do on our boat.

As far as this forum, I have been set straight, semi scolded, encouraged, learned a TON, and laughed a lot. There is just insurmountable experience and opinion here. I am one that appreciates all that I have gained from here and look forward to more!
?

I'd prefer to have a sailboat. I live in an area that is more conducive to motor boating. I'd probably trade my little Nordic Tug for a Fisher 34, just so I'd have some strings to pull, while generally going in a straight line to where I wanted to go.

Ok ....way back in this thread I posted about how we could not leave sailing completely and went with a motorsailer. 55' LOA with bowsprit and dinghy on davits, full keel with bow thruster, ketch rig, washer dryer, electric winches, main and mizzin full battened and roll up in the booms, self tending jib, auto pilot, 3 heat/Ac units, 54' air draft, 5.5' draft, 1400 mile range on just engine and 5k gen, all new radar and electronics in 2023. All set to head down the ICW and enjoy retirement. All set to head down the ICW and enjoy retirement....Perfect right? Well not really.
The Admiral says "We need a bigger boat". We are now planning to live full time aboard in FL except for hurricane season. The motorsailer could be a little cramped. I am 6'5. We are now looking at a very large 67' custom trawler with a single engine and huge bow and stern thrusters. We have been boating for 50 years but that is a big boat. I am getting my captains license finally after all these years and have a friend with 100 ton masters license to go with us for the first 30 -50 hrs. Just when I have the motorsailer perfect...oh well.

For me, going from sail to power had everything to do with waiting for bridges. Our slip is 3 bridges from the ocean. Just trying to go out for a roundtrip cruise for the day with the bridges could add up to an additional 4 hours of waiting.

Ok ....way back in this thread I posted about how we could not leave sailing completely and went with a motorsailer. 55' LOA with bowsprit and dinghy on davits, full keel with bow thruster, ketch rig, washer dryer, electric winches, main and mizzin full battened and roll up in the booms, self tending jib, auto pilot, 3 heat/Ac units, 54' air draft, 5.5' draft, 1400 mile range on just engine and 5k gen, all new radar and electronics in 2023. All set to head down the ICW and enjoy retirement. All set to head down the ICW and enjoy retirement....Perfect right? Well not really.
The Admiral says "We need a bigger boat". We are now planning to live full time aboard in FL except for hurricane season. The motorsailer could be a little cramped. I am 6'5. We are now looking at a very large 67' custom trawler with a single engine and huge bow and stern thrusters. We have been boating for 50 years but that is a big boat. I am getting my captains license finally after all these years and have a friend with 100 ton masters license to go with us for the first 30 -50 hrs. Just when I have the motorsailer perfect...oh well.

We went from Sweetwater -- Swan 57 sloop, weighing about 60,000 pounds loaded for voyaging to Fintry, 79' and 350,000 pounds with full tanks without any problems. Take docking slow and easy and you will be fine.

Jim

Sweetwater -- Swan 57 sloop on which we circumnavigated 1995-98
Fintry -- x Royal Navy Fleet Tender -- owned 2003-2022 18,000 miles including trans-Atlantic The Fleet Tender Fintry
Morning Light -- Webbers Cove 42 single screw trawler 2021- 23
?? Going back to sailing after Morning Light is sold.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Circumnavigaor. One of our previous boats was a 60,000 lb twin-engine sportfisherman but this trawler weighs 188,000lbs! I don't think a gust of wind will move it much. On the plus side my 6'5 self can literally run around the engine in the engine room!

I've always been of the opinion that bigger, heavier boats are easier to dock. They're less sensitive, so it's easier to be precise with them, as you won't get a big reaction to a small input.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Circumnavigaor. One of our previous boats was a 60,000 lb twin-engine sportfisherman but this trawler weighs 188,000lbs! I don't think a gust of wind will move it much. On the plus side my 6'5 self can literally run around the engine in the engine room!

Hi Slow, wanted to learn more about this massive trawler of yours. Thanks.
Mako

The trawler we are thinking about is a custom 67 footer. Solid glass over 1" thick. I have done a ton of fiberglass work and was impressed with the hull. Single 350 hp Cat. Huge 48V bow and stern thrusters. Full walk around decks with Yachtcontroller. Thick fiberglass tanks (that is important to me). Looks like it would be a solid live aboard for us. 5' draft. I can fix almost anything if I can get to it and access to everything on this boat is so nice.

Back
Top Bottom