What Would You Have Done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wonderful real time video of a 58 Hatt losing helm control while maneuvering in tight quarters. Fortunately everything moved very slowly including the wind. It's easy to second guess, but I don't think I would have gone below to try rebooting the Micro Commanders until I arrested the boats movement. A small Danforth off the stern or drop the bow anchor first. And 5 loud blasts!
While there are some instances of the controls failing due to improper installation or worn components you have to keep in mind there are over 300,000 of these controls on vessels world wide. As a ZF service distributor we see very few of these type of failures and they are usually a result of either improper installation or worn control heads (that usually give indications prior to failure). Just like any other system on your vessel they need proper service and should be repaired by qualified technicians. Some of these systems that are in service are almost 40 years old and still working fine. Fly by wire has been around for a long time with very few issues, keep in mind all new boats have to be fly by wire as all new engines are electronic. Just my experience with the controls.

What would I have done? Turned on my red-over-red ("the captain is dead") navigation lights, if course.

Kidding aside, I sure would like a pair of those mammoth fenders the mega yacht had.

Peter

EDIT - Psneeld - curious how the BoatUS guy gets paid here. No negotiation occured prior to his assistance. How is the work valued given it was an emergency? Thoughts?
No negotiations are required for a salvage operation...no, the boat does not have to be abandoned, but it must be in danger.

When I had a sailboat with cable controls, I was docking moving slowly forward towards another boat. Getting ready to backdown towards my slip I began to shift into neutral and the shift lever came right off in my hand. I hit the boat in front of me. Anything can happen when least expected.

Back
Top Bottom