What are your boating goals of 2024 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Currently in Mazatlan, MX, heading South. Plan is to leave MX NLT end of March, down to Costa Rica, then on down to Panama, and through the Canal.

Depending on some personal issues, we may continue on fairly rapidly, planning on spending a little time in Bocas del Torro, and San Blas Islands, MX, then up to Florida by 1 June.

Alternately, if we don't have to get back to the States, we may spend longer on the Caribbean side of Panama and depart from there for Florida after November 1st. We haven't decided yet if we're going to go East or West around Cuba.

Either way, we're looking at around 4000 nm with side trips, 620 or so engine hours, and about 1650 gallons of diesel.
It's now April 6, and our plans have changed a little. We completed our trip down the coast, and transited the Panama Canal on 19 March. We are currently in the San Blas Islands on the Caribbean side of Panama, awaiting a weather window to head to Florida. We plan on going from here to the Cayman Islands, (603 miles, about 3 1/2 to 4 days), then either directly to Florida, around the West end of Cuba, or first to Isla Mujeres, MX, then on to Florida from there. The "Personal issues" above have been resolved, and we've purchased a house in Florida . . . actually, we've purchased a dock (well, actually THREE docks) that come with a house! Docks are fine, but house needs some updating, so the plan is to spend the (hot, muggy) summer working on the house, then head to the Bahamas in early November for maybe 6 weeks, then back to house for Christmas, then back to Bahamas for several months.

Attachments

• Home.jpeg
    Home.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 32
Lavrio, Greece > Piraeus > Ionian > Italian coast to Toulon, France for the winter.

Westward is for sure, but the route above is only tentative at this point. To be researched further and decided upon later in January. Our long-range goal is be back at our home harbor in southern Sweden by the end of 2025.
This has been significantly revised. New plan:
Lavrio, Greece > Piraeus > Ionian > Albania > Montenegro > Croatia > Slovenia > Venice > Truck transport from Venice to Genova & re-launch > Toulon, France (for the winter)

This has been significantly revised. New plan:
Lavrio, Greece > Piraeus > Ionian > Albania > Montenegro > Croatia > Slovenia > Venice > Truck transport from Venice to Genova & re-launch > Toulon, France (for the winter)

We are doing roughly the same route, only coming from Kos and after Venice going back down again to Preveza. When are you going to be in Venice ? We are aiming for 20 July (festa del Redentore).

We are doing roughly the same route, only coming from Kos and after Venice going back down again to Preveza. When are you going to be in Venice ? We are aiming for 20 July (festa del Redentore).
Interesting! We are booked in Venice at Santelena Marina in Venice 3-8 September.

By that time we will be heading South, to Dalmatia again, but if you happen to be somewhere near the Kornati in mid August, we could make it a TF meet up.

if you happen to be somewhere near the Kornati in mid August, we could make it a TF meet up.
This could be quite possible. I am working on the detailed itinerary now. Will let you know how it looks when finished.

Being able to get out of Baltimore Harbor.

John

Plan A: My wife and I will be arriving Spanish Ontario by truck on July 15. Then after we launch and provision we will begin our first cruise in this area. We are naturally super excited about it and trying to learn as much as possible about navigating the North Channel Islands. Jobs pending: replace the hatch I destroyed on the freeway ( forgot to latch it.) Install new AirHead toilet. Install solar panels. I also need a dinghy.

I have a lot to do. My boat is currently in heated storage where I can work on it. The only problem I have is that I am currently in phase three of rotator cuff surgery recovery. I have just under 5 months before the boat goes back in the water.
My boat is 45 years old, very solid except for some soft deck spots. The boat has not been updated for a long time and has had very little usage. I bought the boat with 1,310 hours on the engines with two previous owners and good records.
Steering: Remove the rudders and check for damage and corrosion, reinstall. Rebuild steering pumps, cylinders and replace all hydraulic lines.
Engines, replace all hoses and belts, service all accessories, rebuild synchronizers, boil out heat exchangers, remove rust and paint, rebuilt one raw water pump. Move racors, replace all rubber fuel lines.
Fuel system, replace all rubber fill hoses and repair fuel gauges.
Generator, rewire generator to auto start with the flip of a switch, remount wet muffler.
Stabilizers, remove fins and check for corrosion and rebuild if necessary, remove and rebuild all components, install dryer and after filter in system, figure out how to park them when off. Replace all air lines and service air compressors.
Air conditioning, AC pump looks vulnerable, redo and reroute, clean all evaporators and new drain hoses.
Power, go through all connections for corrosion and re-clamping broken or missing clamps. Figure out wiring and diagram. Go to LiFePO4 batteries.
Fire suppression, have system serviced.
Bilge, wash, and paint move and anchor trim ballast.
Sewage, replace all hoses and rebuild rear head.
Salon, build new dinette and repair rear wall. Refinish all teak throughout boat
Exterior, replace front windows and one side salon window, new window tracks, Fix spongy decks, two new Bimini tops, repair a couple of blisters, bottom paint, replace zincs, paint deck, repair teak table, install davits, new Ronca anchor, rebed all fittings, install new stair standoffs, redo, engine gauges, repair lights, new deck lights, refurbish mast and crane, polish hull.
Electronics, replace all electronics.
The above is a two-year project. Must prioritize for the next 5 months. Back in same heated storage for another winter then leave on loop and points beyond.
Launch late May
Summer trip will be from Sandusky Ohio back to roots in Traverse City and the North Channel for about 5 weeks. Lots of local boating as well. Approximately 1,200 -1,400 miles. About one tank of fuel.
This plan has worked out very well now and I am right on schedule. Launched May 23. I now have about 6 weeks before we leave on this trip with plenty yet to do but the list is quite doable within the time frame. So, how do I feel? I am retired and need a vacation. Shoulder is doing fine but new body would be nice.
Still to do, Finish up small details on the stabilizers. Had to completely rebuild the fins. Install the electronics, Install the dinghy davits, finish the sewage system up, finish the canvas and tidy up the boat.
At the moment the boat has full fuel tanks, enough for the entire trip.
Total spent so far is about $22k in parts.

average 2023 days on board is 8 days since I still work. I hope to average 9 days per month in 2024.

On our way to Washington from Mexico we had to visit North Alabama for some real estate business. There we bought a hard shell roof top tent to install on our home made off-road trailer. We then proceeded to NW and visited 13 states over 11 days/12 nights and saw some of the best vistas in the USA. We avoided Interstates at all costs and even took gravel and dirt roads for many hours at a time.
unnamed.png

We finally got aboard "m/w Ramble On" before June. First time we have gotten started this early since we bought her 4 cruising seasons back in 2020.
She was found with a discharged House Bank 2, FLA golf cart batteries in series and parallel, 6-interstate 6v GC2. One battery was toast. The cables were old and stiff and the problem was caused by a friend boarding the boat and leaving inverter/Charger on invert mode instead of charge mode.
We reconditioned 5 of six batteries. Installed new 00 cables and lugs with distribution terminal blocks and are using 4 instead of 6 and leaving one isolated as a replacement (it is independently charged monthly by a old fashioned 6 volt charger). The LiFePo4 House bank 1 (2 x 220 amp hrs.) are both fine and happy with being only charged with 4 PV panels rated at 100 watts each.
Having done oil, filters, tranny fluid, new and larger tranny coolant hoses (per Brian at American Marine) and new impellers all done before leaving PNW last October/Nov. the boat was in pretty close to ready state to cruise.
Other than cleaning and organizing and provisioning, we are ready to go.
Planning to leave Olympia around July 1st or sooner and then cruising to Gig Harbor, Eagle Harbor, Kingsport and cross over to visit Langley on Whidbey Island, Oak Harbor and then up to San Juans and then North to Vancouver City and onward North to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast. Stopping by Vancouver Island on the return trip southbound in late August or September. Hoping to be back at Olympia, WA by mid October at the latest.
This season should give us the most nautical miles in one season and get us primed for the big adventure to Alaska next season in '25 or maybe '26. These are our current plans and they are flexible.
20240613_091912.jpg

PS: we did install Starlink and boy, that is a game changer. See the custom mount I made for radar/paravane arch?

Attachments

• 20240613_091912.jpg
    20240613_091912.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom