Wet exhaust elbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldenstar38

Vessel Make
Goldenstar sportfisher
I have a Perkins Range 4 (T6-3544) where the exhaust elbow water feed hose leaked (it was covered with a heat wrap so never seen) ran down the elbow and destroyed the V band flange to the point that a new flange cannot be welded on to replace it.
TAD sells a new replacement for $1350. Not too bad, but not what I wanted to spend right now.

I have another Perkins wet elbow from a normally aspirated engine. It can easily be sectioned and welded to match the OEM elbow. Pipe diameters are nearly the same, so I see no backpressure issue.

However, the exhaust pipe would be exposed for about 10 inches and water injected down stream into the mixing can (hope that is the correct term) and not injected right where the elbow connects to the elbow at the Turbo.

Will this be an issue if the exposed pipe were wrapped with a heat wrap?
Did some searching online last night and it appears that both setups have been user for wet systems.
Thank you for any thoughts.
I will to try and attach a picture ASAP.

Last edited:
If you wrap the pipe with insulation before the injection point you should be fine. I did more or less the same thing on a Yanmar 6LY to extend the dry riser upwards.

David

Back
Top Bottom