Wagner 701 Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJ4952

I did some work on my steering system a while she was on the hard last year. Recently filled and bled it., but “issues” now: Both helms can turn the tiller to full starboard and stop hard. Upper helm can turn the tiller to full port but can continue to turn counterclockwise indefinitely. Lower helm can turn counterclockwise but does not move the tiller to port, instead, it makes multiple clicking sounds per revolution.*
I clean cleaned and reassembled the lower helm with no change in outcome. Any help, direction or suggestions would of course be greatly received.*
No auto pilot on this system. NOTE: I have bled the system multiple times from both stations. Can no longer detect any air in the system. Most feedback points to trapped air in the system rather than a malfunctioning pump. That opinion is helpful. I will rethink my focus, however, I’m not convinced that I don’t have a sticky/faulty check valve in one of the two pumps. Has anyone experienced these pumps malfunctioning as opposed to simply leaking/sweating?
PS I have a 16 sec video but am unable to upload.

Last edited:
Here's some info on the 700 series including bleeding info:

Attachments

• 700 SERIES MANUAL HYD.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 64
  • wa-brochure-filling-700-series-cylinders.pdf
    295.2 KB · Views: 29
  • wa-brochure-helm-pumps.pdf
    245.4 KB · Views: 63
I have a Wagner hydraulic system. I use a light oil “mineralube” 10 weight. It bleeds very easy, works fine. I have a Raymarine auto pilot system that works very well with the Wagner system.

Thank you Lepke. These are great resources. I really appreciate it. Thought you might step up!

I also have a Wagner t2 unit on my rig and cant believe how heavy duty this thing is its an absolute beast and plan on putting a raymarine ev200 autopilot this winter

Last edited:
Wagner update: once I saw the schematic of the “lock-valve” that Lepke posted, I realized that I had not removed the piston from the housing. I discovered that they had both seized with the extended storage and residual moisture in both pumps. I repaired them. And the system is now 100%. Thanks so much for everyone’s help!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom