Removing Fender Marks from Awlcraft 2000 Painted Hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RossWilson

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T
Hello Everyone:

I wonder if anyone can offer advice on removing fender rub marks from the Awlcraft 2000 painted hull of my 2006 MS 34T. I washed it with Awlwash, followed by a thorough rinse, and then hand-applied Awlcare. I then attempted to VERY gently buff them out with a soft wool pad at a relatively low speed. The hull looks great ... except for the now more obvious rub marks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had to have a couple of feet of my Mainship's claret red Awlcraft painted hull repainted. It cost me a ton to have the pro sand down to primer and repaint to match perfectly. One thing he noticed was that the hull was clear coated over the Awlcraft. Maybe yours is too, and maybe that makes a difference in the approach to take with this job. After he was done with the repainting, I asked him to go around the hull and buff some marks out. He used a wool pad, slow speed and 3m Finesse. Came out looking great.

I had to have a couple of feet of my Mainship's claret red Awlcraft painted hull repainted. It cost me a ton to have the pro sand down to primer and repaint to match perfectly. One thing he noticed was that the hull was clear coated over the Awlcraft. Maybe yours is too, and maybe that makes a difference in the approach to take with this job. After he was done with the repainting, I asked him to go around the hull and buff some marks out. He used a wool pad, slow speed and 3m Finesse. Came out looking great.
Thanks, Rich, for your comment.

I do not believe my hull has a clearcoat over the paint since the red rubbed onto my white naked fenders. I'd think a clearcoat would have prevented that colour transfer. Do you not agree? One could argue that the horse was already in the next county, but I just bought new Fendress fender covers to hopefully reduce the liklihood of history repeating itself.

I assume that 3m Finesse has a mild abrasive in it. I guess I'd have to maintain an even light touch with the buffer or risk removing too much of the paint. Or maybe do it manually?

The guy who came by today and I talked about Finesse for the job at hand of buffing the topside gelcoat, and he figured it to be too mild, but I watched it work miracles on the red Alwcraft. I really do not understand the topcoat thing, but as he sanded the edges of my hull paint repair area, the professional pointed out the whitened area on the edge of his work area telling me that was an indication that clear coat was applied over the red. He sprayed on clear coat after the red had dried and then used his pneumatic sanding disk with 3000-gtrit followed by Finesse to blend it in with the rest of the hull. The area he repaired in from the forward edge (cutwater) on the stbd side from waterline to the rub rail, and you absolutely cannot see it.

Attachments

• Aug 2019 repaint of bow.jpg
    Aug 2019 repaint of bow.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 16
The guy who came by today and I talked about Finesse for the job at hand of buffing the topside gelcoat, and he figured it to be too mild, but I watched it work miracles on the red Alwcraft. I really do not understand the topcoat thing, but as he sanded the edges of my hull paint repair area, the professional pointed out the whitened area on the edge of his work area telling me that was an indication that clear coat was applied over the red. He sprayed on clear coat after the red had dried and then used his pneumatic sanding disk with 3000-gtrit followed by Finesse to blend it in with the rest of the hull. The area he repaired in from the forward edge (cutwater) on the stbd side from waterline to the rub rail, and you absolutely cannot see it.
Thanks, Rich. Your hull looks great! In addition to the fender rub marks that I wish to "rub out", I have another small area that a PO had repaired. And the paint used was a shade or two darker. I'd like to have that repaired too. I'll try the Finesse on an inconspicuous area first - maybe beneath the swim platform, to see if it removes the paint.

Back
Top Bottom