Recognize this engine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Not sure the picture got attached. Want to know if this is gas or diesel engine.
Thanks,
Bob
Volvo Penta.jpg

My guess would be gas based on the V configuration & 2 exhausts. Probably a Chevy, Volvo rebranded them

That is the 8.1. Gas engine. Big engines!

Not a Chevy then? A nice boat at a good price but one engine does not run.

The 8.1 is a Chevy 496 block. Same base engine as the 8.1 that was offered in the early 2000s heavy duty pickups.

Yes it’s a Chevy long block that Volvo marinized. I preferred the Crusader marinization to Volvos but that doesn’t change the answer. They are gas guzzlers.

Looks to be gas.

What does it say on the fuel fill covers?

pete

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not really crazy about a gas boat but it looks like a really nice boat until the seller mentioned that one engine does not run.

Those engines are EFI so a tech with a diagnostic tool may be able to pull codes.
Obviously an engine not starting could be anything from a faulty ground to total
engine replacement but the odds are something electrical.

It's a Craigslist ad with very few details. The seller has dropped the price twice n the last month. Makes me really leery, plus really not crazy about a gas boat. Think I'll pass.

With gassers, hours are a deciding factor. They are generally ready for rebuild before 5,000 hours. What does your hour meter say?

pete

With gassers, hours are a deciding factor. They are generally ready for rebuild before 5,000 hours. What does your hour meter say?

pete

Generally true, but it's also typically easier for an average person with some mechanical skill to assess the condition of gas engines and determine if they're tired or have plenty of life remaining. Compression and leakdown test, get it good and hot and confirm oil pressure at idle is well within spec, etc. If all of that checks out and there's no excessive oil consumption then all signs point to a healthy engine with plenty of life remaining.

Back
Top Bottom