Question about flying the US flag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

witthuus

Hello !
We will be flying to the NL shortly and cruising Friesland on a charterboat for 3 weeks.

What is the etiquette/law ? May I take down the dutch flag and display the US Flag on the charterboat ?

Not sure how to do this correctly and don't want to offense anybody. Thank you so much for your advise

Normally you would fly the courtesy flag (US) from the a Stbd halyard. Pretty sure it would be bad form to fly the US ensign from the stern as it is most likely a NL registered vessel.

Normally you would fly the courtesy flag (US) from the a Stbd halyard. Pretty sure it would be bad form to fly the US ensign from the stern as it is most likely a NL registered vessel.

I don't think one would fly the US ensign in this case. The Dutch flag would fly at the stern, or at the gaff, if under sail. (Unless of course the owner chooses to fly the E.U. standard, as was the case when we chartered a British vessel in French waters.)

The courtesy flag would be that of a "host". That is, if this Dutch vessel were to put into Emden, or Norderney, they would fly the German flag at the starboard flag halyard.

Last edited:
Good that you are proud, but really no need to advertise too much while traveling abroad...that is pretty common advice.

One on one encounters, people figure it out real quick where you are from without even trying.

Flag waving has killed more people than the black plague. Respect your hosts and fly their flag. You are a guest in their country. Behave as such.

And, just to make sure you understand where America fits in the world, many Americans have been known to tell people they are Canadian so as to avoid the acrimony that can be felt by many Europeans.

I'm an ardent traditionalist generally in life, but I never have quite understood the habit or custom of flying a host country flag, regardless of which halyard or spreader. If I drive my car to Illinois, do I add a courtesy Illinois license plate to my bumper? Say I'm in French waters, just as a random example. I'm certainly not a French boat, so why would I fly a French flag anywhere? Feels kind of shady or dishonest to me, like a deceptive naval battle maneuver in a Patrick O'Brian novel. I know, it's custom, and apparently very important or even required in some foreign ports, and some manuals or codes say it's a "duty" or sign of respect, but I don't get it. I even bought a Canadian flag for when we sail out of Duluth eventually and may turn north, but I'm certainly not Canadian and neither is my boat. And the average schmoe is not going to understand what that flag means on the starboard spreader or halyard.

The host flag doesn't seem to have a practical purpose of verifying that you've processed in for example and have permission to be there either -- you just take down the Q flag for that. And I recall I've read stories from after 1935 when foreign boats in German waters had to fly the Swastika, sometimes to great offense (thanks Bill Bailey, take that Bremen, but that's another story). But to address the original post, I agree with the others, If I'm in Dutch waters on a Dutch boat, makes no sense to me to fly a U.S. flag or ensign anywhere, even for sentimental or patriotic reasons. Not a U.S boat, or a U.S. owner, and you're not in U.S. waters.

I do have a flag of what is now Inner Mongolia though, because that's where Xanadu was located, and I'll fly it on the line from the bow to the forward bimini pipe when we dress the boat for the 4th of July, but nobody will know what the heck that flag means except us.

Attachments

• Inner Mongolia.jpg
    Inner Mongolia.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 430
Geez, Karl, they call it a "courtesy flag" for a reason. Have you been getting enough sleep? :ermm::D

Attachments

• oh2a.jpg
    oh2a.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
And, just to make sure you understand where America fits in the world, many Americans have been known to tell people they are Canadian so as to avoid the acrimony that can be felt by many Europeans.

Heh, oddly enough when chatting with others on travels more often than not they've assumed I was Canadian. Citing my 'being so nice'. Um, ok, I'll take the compliment, I guess?

How did I know this would go sideways so fast? :D

To the OP... me I just would follow nautical customs and enjoy the trip.

Geez, Karl, they call it a "courtesy flag" for a reason. Have you been getting enough sleep? :ermm::D
Definitely not. And I just wrote a $1,600 check for the new bimini. Just the bimini, no other panels. I have grounds to be crabby.

210 square feet of sunbrella, and 86 total feet of zipper. But I'll shut up, thread drift, we're talking about flags.

the average schmoe is not going to understand what that flag means on the starboard spreader or halyard.

The host flag doesn't seem to have a practical purpose of verifying that you've processed in for example and have permission to be there either -- you just take down the Q flag for that. .

IMO regardless of other peoples understanding of nautical etiquette, OUR job should be to maintain standards. Civilization in general is based on an accepted set of standards. Loose this and we lose ourselves.

It's pretty simple. The stern flag shows the registry country of the BOAT. The nationality of the captain or crew is irrelevant.

The courtesy flag is when the BOAT is visiting a different country. As the name implies, it's a courtesy to fly it, but you don't have to if you want to be offensive.

The courtesy flag is taken quite seriously in some countries. We were approached by a port captain in while at anchor in Turkey who said our Turkish flag had to be replaced as it was too faded. We replied it was a sign of affection as we had stayed so long. Change the flag he said.
Slightly off topic we were leaving Lumut when a naval vessel passed us with all the ratings at attention. One of them went aft and dipped their ensign to us, I assume because we were foreign flagged. Our flag pole was a sawn off old VHF aerial so I turned that down and back up again. Not quite correct but all we could do to acknowledge.

It's pretty simple. The stern flag shows the registry country of the BOAT. The nationality of the captain or crew is irrelevant.

The courtesy flag is when the BOAT is visiting a different country. As the name implies, it's a courtesy to fly it, but you don't have to if you want to be offensive.

This my understanding as well. I also believe you are required to put the name of the vessel and its home port on it if you are. US documented boat. Flag or no flag makes it pretty obvious where the boat is documented hence which country of origin. Not relevant here as a Dutch boat with Dutch flag on stern.

In my travels have noted there is potential downsides to not flying the appropriate curtesy flag. Authorities don’t know if you failed to fly the Q or not. Any interaction with authorities is worth avoiding if possible. Also we’re not the only ones proud of our country. Flying the curtesy is a sign of respect. Not showing that respect may get you off with the wrong foot interacting with local residents.

As several have said the OP has been answered. Dutch boat. Dutch flag on the back. Nothing else needed. Still needs a Q starboard side if pratique required elsewhere. Dutch flag stays up.

Last edited:
210 square feet of sunbrella, and 86 total feet of zipper. But I'll shut up, thread drift, we're talking about flags.

Have some canvas work done in S Fl. At $1600 that's a bargain. (or a beginner)

Oops, thread drift.

Authorities don’t know if you failed to fly the Q or not. Any interaction with authorities is worth avoiding if possible. ...Still needs a Q starboard side if pratique required elsewhere. Dutch flag stays up.

You raise an interesting point. If the Dutch vessel remains within the European Union, what are the pratique/ customs implications associated with the flag display? (Assume he isn't crossing to Dover.)

I speak only of the legalities; am in complete agreement with the courtesy implied. In fact, if I ever cruise to Ulaanbataar, I plan on borrowing Karl's Mongolian ensign. There is no yacht club reciprocity, I've checked.:socool:

Attachments

• Inner Mongolia.jpg
    Inner Mongolia.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 326
When we chartered Anthonia she flew the E.U. standard at the taffrail.

Attachments

• anthonia4.JPG
    anthonia4.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 37
  • anthonia5.jpg
    anthonia5.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 38
Anthonia flew the "courtesy" tricolor at the starboard foremast and the "Red Duster" to port.

But with the mast lying horizontal for most of the voyage, I'm not sure how courteous this display is.

Attachments

• anthonia2.jpg
    anthonia2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
:thumb:

As others have advised, starboard spreader halyard has preference. If not available (or mast is down,) you can fly guest flag at jackstaff. You should fly guest flag. It's a matter of respect for host nation and nautical convention. Friesland waterways are fantastic!!! Enjoy!

U.S.Flag

Running a U.S. flag on a Dutch boat will certainly raise some question with the Dutch Water Police, Customs et cetera
Questions will be raised about V.A.T. ownership et cetera and in the end you might get a fine (most of the time a warning) for running the incorrect flag.
The law requires you to run the correct flag as it indicates the nationality of the boat.

Have a great holiday on the lakes of Friesland. Mr. Blu is staying in Heeg.

Paul

It is a myth that Canadians are better liked than Americans. There are few Canadians in the world to begin with and according to most travel publications they behave worse than anyone else. They even beat the Germans with their bad manners. Canadians are viewed with more gratitude in the Netherlands because they liberated the north western part of the country from the Nazis. Few Dutchmen know that this was by design as Eisenhower felt that beating the Nazis first was more important. He left it up to the Canadians, all equipped with US materiel and supplies, to finish the job. And yes, fly the US flag as a courtesy, I have a courtesy Dutch flag on our boat but as a naturalized citizen, I proudly display the US flag on the stern.

BY law in the Netherlands, you can EITHER have a Dutch Flag ( registration) But most likely since it is a for hire boat UNDER 50 feet, so chances it is Dutch Flagged/ ( registered in het cadaster) are NILL

BUT Dutch Law, allows you to fly the flag of the nationality of the Captain. ( IN the Netherlands). If you take the boat Out of NL , you need to flag it NL

Yes on the starboard side one often flies a courtesy flag of the visiting country, BUT since it is a Dutch boat, you wont do so

It is a myth that Canadians are better liked than Americans. There are few Canadians in the world to begin with and according to most travel publications they behave worse than anyone else. They even beat the Germans with their bad manners. Canadians are viewed with more gratitude in the Netherlands because they liberated the north western part of the country from the Nazis. Few Dutchmen know that this was by design as Eisenhower felt that beating the Nazis first was more important. He left it up to the Canadians, all equipped with US materiel and supplies, to finish the job. And yes, fly the US flag as a courtesy, I have a courtesy Dutch flag on our boat but as a naturalized citizen, I proudly display the US flag on the stern.

US flag on your American flagged vessel would be appropriate...not so on a foreign vessel in a foreign land....it's not a matter of pride.

Running a U.S. flag on a Dutch boat will certainly raise some question with the Dutch Water Police, Customs

The law requires you to run the correct flag as it indicates the nationality of the boat.

Have a great holiday on the lakes of Friesland. Mr. Blu is staying in Heeg.

Paul

1) seeing a US flag on a boat in the NL is not an uncommon sight.
2) the ONLY thing the police, customs and immigrations want to see is your passport, IF you enter through one of the ports of entry.
3) since it is a rental boat it will be very obvious, it never would have made an ocean crossing.
IF it was a US flagged boat with coast guard papers, it can stay inside the EU for 18 months, before any questions about VAT would be raised
4) Dutch Law ONLY requires you to fly the Red White and Blue Outside the NL. Inside NL you can flag it according to the nationality of the captain
5) there are quite a few barges who are US flagged in the Dutch Barge Association, cruising through Europe.

Hello !
We will be flying to the NL shortly and cruising Friesland on a charterboat for 3 weeks.

What is the etiquette/law ? May I take down the dutch flag and display the US Flag on the charterboat ?

Not sure how to do this correctly and don't want to offense anybody. Thank you so much for your advise

Most likely the rental company will even have put up a US flag since they know you are American. ( yes it is LEGAL to fly the colors of the captains nationality INSIDE the Netherlands on a Dutch boat

Where the boats ‘home port’ goes on the stern. Of course if the stern is blocked by the tender, things get fogging in my mind.
A. Name and home port hanging sign at the stern on the upper deck rail.
B. On the side of the hull. Which side or both sides, I do not know. I suspect the CG makes an approach in the side closet to the helm, in my case Stbd. If the CG says both side, beg forgiveness and promise to correct it ASAP.

IF have a way…. The Q flag is flown from the starboard halyard until you clear customs aka health check then, it is replaced with the courtesy flag of the country you are visiting.
The port halyard is reserved for ‘calling for a ride to shore’, maybe the ‘diver down’ flag?
IF you dont have such luxuries, use the forward most flag staff as the Stbd halyard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom