Offer made...offer accepted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomCat

Veteran Member
After an intensive search for an older Grand Banks 36 classic, I also looked at a Monk 36. Turns out I like the Monk better! I have made an offer on a Monk 36 and the seller has accepted. Now to hire the surveyor!

Congrats and consider a engine surveyor as well that knows the power-plant well.

Congrats, hope the survey goes well. What engine is in it?

I've owned both a GB36 and a Monk34. Personally I liked the outside lines of the GB more, but felt the Monk had a much better interior design. But, like our current boat, Monks, although similar to each other, were pretty much one off's, where the new owner bought plans and shopped his/her own shipyard, thus they varied greatly in layout and quality from boat to boat, but I've seen several of them I really liked. GB seemed to be kind of stuck in a rut where it came to interior design IMHO. Best of luck with the survey!

Congratulations! Looks like a beautiful boat in time for a good season.
Good luck with survey.

Monks, although similar to each other, were pretty much one off's, where the new owner bought plans and shopped his/her own shipyard, thus they varied greatly in layout and quality from boat to boat.
Maybe you are confusing the Monk 36 with another boat.

The Monk 36s were originally built in Taiwan until 1992, then in Nova Scotia until 2007. There were 258 built.

I highly doubt Ed Monk Jr. would have allowed plans to go out the back door.

To elaborate on what one may find...engines only needed some TLC but a shaft was not happy.

$$$$$ avoided.

Join the Monk 36 Owners Association. $50 for membership that lasts as long as you own the boat. Tremendous community knowledge and deep archives on most every issue that could arise. And we all love the boat.

Maybe you are confusing the Monk 36 with another boat.

The Monk 36s were originally built in Taiwan until 1992, then in Nova Scotia until 2007. There were 258 built.
I highly doubt Ed Monk Jr. would have allowed plans to go out the back door.

I was speaking from personal experience regarding my Monk 34, not the 36. Also, I never mentioned Ed Monk Jr. My boat was designed by, and the plans sold to the buyer by Ed Monk Sr. (SENIOR)

Were all Ed Monk (Jr) 36' boats production boats built to he exact same plans? If so, I stand corrected.:thumb: I learn new things every day!:dance:

Update: False alarm. The seller's email said they accepted but they never signed the P&S and are asking me to change my offer (again)....sigh...

That sounds like a raw deal, best of luck.

Hope all goes well too. We did the offer/counter-offer thing too, finally got the seller to chop a grand off because survey said both heads were non functional.

We knew 1 was broken before, but survey said both. Pays to have the survey done, the price reduction was more than the survey cost.

What’s offensive to me isn’t countering as that’s normal but rather they said they accepted in their email to you but then didn’t accept. Unless there was some sort of mistake.

slowgoesit; said:
I was speaking from personal experience regarding my Monk 34, not the 36. Also, I never mentioned Ed Monk Jr. My boat was designed by, and the plans sold to the buyer by Ed Monk Sr.
Fair enough, but when I read this:
slowgoesit; said:
Monks, although similar to each other, were pretty much one off's, where the new owner bought plans and shopped his/her own shipyard, thus they varied greatly in layout and quality from boat to boat, but I've seen several of them I really liked
and took it to mean all Monk boats.

Ed Monk Sr. did design many boats for a variety of enterprises and individuals. To my knowledge there was not a Monk 34, though there were Monk designed 34s; Grandy and Benson are two which come immediately to mind.

Monk 36, the topic of this thread, were all factory built in one of the two places mentioned, with the only changes, boat to boat, being factory changes, like the switch to aluminum framed windows in the Canadian yard.

Update: False alarm. The seller's email said they accepted but they never signed the P&S and are asking me to change my offer (again)....sigh...

Sounds pretty sketchy. I think I'd walk on this one. Boat may be fine, but you're heading for breakers with that seller and/or broker. They're obviously playing games with you. I'd take my marbles ($$) and look for another boat. If the seller contacts you again, I'd tell them they already have your offer, all they need to do is sign it and return it to you, otherwise, you're still looking for a boat.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. The seller is supposed to make a counter, not insist you bid yourself up.

I guess the broker is lame too, he should have worked the counter with the seller.

I've seen this type of seller behavior before. Never ends well - always something with sellers like this. Turbulence all the way to the end.

I know many boat-sales are cash buyers and the market has been white-hot. I suspect that may be changing soon. According to today's WSJ, 30-yr home mortgage rate is now almost 4% making average payment on $375k home $220/mo higher than a year ago. Mortgage applications are down 13.1%; purchase applications are down 10%. With all the other consumer economic headwinds arising, gotta wonder if we're finally hitting an inflection point in assets. Might be a good time to sit on sidelines for a few months and see what shakes-out. There's an old saying about people who get greedy like this seller: "Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered." Sooner or later, there will be seller's stuck without a buyer.

Regardless, good luck finding your dream magic-carpet.

Peter

Last edited:
I understand it’s bad behavior which I hate rewarding, but in this market of used boats and if it’s a boat he really wants just stay firm where he wants and stick with a signed offer. Be aware that they may game you on any ambiguities so have some teeth on the contract if they try to walk away or renegotiate later. Perhaps by using an independent or selected by you escrow agent.

Things have settled out and we have a signed contract after we gave them the silent treatment for a few days. And so far I am very pleased with my broker. Now on to survey, sea trial, closing (I hope), and transport to her new home on beautiful Lake Champlain...and putting her to work!

Good to hear all went well.

I've owned both a GB36 and a Monk34. Personally I liked the outside lines of the GB more, but felt the Monk had a much better interior design. But, like our current boat, Monks, although similar to each other, were pretty much one off's, where the new owner bought plans and shopped his/her own shipyard, thus they varied greatly in layout and quality from boat to boat, but I've seen several of them I really liked. GB seemed to be kind of stuck in a rut where it came to interior design IMHO. Best of luck with the survey!

I bought a 1973 GB36 Classic in Nov 2020. It needs quite a bit of work, but the price was commensurate and I am able to do most of the work myself. I have gutted the entire aft cabin/head areas. I will be taking advantage of this fact with changes to the interior layout. I have seen GB36's from the mid to late 80's and like the interior changes that GB made.

I'm going through something similar, Tomcat, looking for a Monk 36 or GB36. 3 times now I have contacted a broker for a boat that said "brand new listing" or something similar, only for the broker to tell me it was already sold. On the advice of a couple of TF members - very good advice, as it turned out! - I now have a broker as well, who has been able to weed out several boats that looked great but weren't, as well as one selling broker who was not to be trusted. Are you looking at the one in Maine? It is too far for me to drive, but looks nice.
My guess is someone offered more money after you, and the broker, or the owner, or both, decided to go for the dollars. Not very ethical, but unfortunately not surprising in this current market. If the other broker is CPBY you might try pushing back and insisting that they honor the deal they agreed to. Those brokers are supposed to adhere to a code of ethics to prevent what you are experiencing.
Just my thought, though; if you really want the boat and are willing to offer a bit more might be worth it, but set a mental limit for yourself. It sucks to have to go through that, but there are very few Monk 36's on the market; in your place, and without knowing what you paid, I might go a bit higher so I didn't have to start all over again!
Peter

Hey Peter, thanks for the response. It turns out that after we gave them them the silent treatment for a few days the sellers came around and signed the contract. Survey scheduled for this coming weekend. The GB36 in Maine, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is a boat that we chartered back in 2017. A decent vessel but their asking price of $110K I think is too high based on what I've seen. I'm working with a buyer broker who has been super helpful. Good luck in your search Peter. I'm wondering now if I should have waited another 9 months and go shopping hard in the fall. Late Aug, / early September? Who knows, maybe by then the fuel prices will be so sky high that power boat prices will plumment!

You must have purchased the Monk in Matapoisset? I called the broker about it last week but she told me "it has just been sold", so maybe quite ethical after all!( I didn't see your first post until today, or I would not have called at all.) Congratulations, looks like a very nice boat, hope the survey goes well and you enjoy a lot of time on it.
I wouldn't try to second-guess myself, none of us know where the fuel market will be in 6 months, or anything else in this crazy world. Enjoy it while you can.

Back
Top Bottom