New Air Conditioner install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
Picked up the new ac with most, if not all associated parts yesterday. I decided to add an additional 16000 btu system instead of replacing my current marginal one. I chose the Webasto FCF Platinum and the vendor I bought it from offered an install kit, which I also purchased. The install kit includes literally everything from the thru-hull to the air registers. I am going to install the unit in my "soon to be expanded and insulated" chart table. I am also going to remove the teak plywood walls to run the ducting behind.
My current system, which is 12000 btu is going to be routed to only cool the v-berth and galley.

Last edited:
How much were the parts? None of the shops seem to list their prices on the web without requesting a quote. Im just looking for rough numbers.

Brian

How much were the parts? None of the shops seem to list their prices on the web without requesting a quote. Im just looking for rough numbers.

Brian

For the unit and all installation parts and hardware (not included was 12/3 wire and new breaker.), the cost was $2600, not including tax Breakdown was unit $1799, installation kit $800-ish. I went for a total install from the thru-hull, seacock, strainer, pump,hoses, ducting, plenums, screws, clamps, etc,etc.
After completion I will have 2 completely independent systems.

I completed the install and now have two units operating, new 16000 btu for the salon & the old 12000 btu for the galley and v-berth. Ran new ducting for both systems. It gets very cold now. Boat gets below 73 degrees inside while it's 89 degrees outside. Very pleased.

It sure is nice to be able to cool it down when it gets really hot outside.

One of the interesting parts of this project is that I was going to also install a soft start for the new unit and add one to the old unit so the generator would handle both units starting and running simultaneously. I didn't add the option to either and the genny runs both units together with minimal drag when they start up.

Back
Top Bottom