Leaking hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arthurn

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Brown Eyed Girl
Vessel Make
38ft Helmsman Trawler
I have a Manship hatch which is leaking where the acrylic glass fits into the frame. I figure I will need to pull the glass out and rebed it with a new gasket and silicone. I would love to hear from someone who has done this before. Specifically how do I get the acrylic glass out of the frame without breaking it.

Arthur

Very carefully. Look at Sika 295UV caulk.

If water is entering between the acrylic glass and the frame, it should be possible to seal the gap between the two without removing the glass. A hatch leak which when I bought my boat had destroyed a sliding timber "blind" under it, all I had to do was reseal between glass and frame ( and remake the sliding blind). Seals contract, or even separate where the join is, it can be quite obvious to close inspection. A matching sealant introduced after taping either side could be a fix. Use of silicone will cause apoplexy in some TFers (eg RT Firefly) but imo the "Roof & Gutter" variety which does not impede paint later on is fine.

The problem is when you use silicone and it leaks again, which is certainly possible, it will be very di To get another sealant to stick where the silicone was. I prefer to remove the “glass” and thoroughly clean all the surfaces and start over with a continuous bead of sealant. I don’t care for silicone but have had excellent results with Sika 295UV for sealing acrylics.

Back
Top Bottom