lavac head question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duetto

Vessel Name
GEM
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
hi all,

we have a lavac toilet which i think is in need to a new gasket between the base and the bowl. the 2 parts are secured by studs(?) and 10 mm nuts.

my question, is my assumption that they are studs screwed into the base correct?

thanks in advance,

I googled “ lavac head parts breakdown” and got several images. We are traveling cross country and it id difficult to read the small print at 80 mph. I uploaded one of the images, hopefully it will help.

Attachments

• 61D4B2C4-7016-49EE-BEF1-B64E3EB118F3.jpeg
    61D4B2C4-7016-49EE-BEF1-B64E3EB118F3.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 19
These heads are still mildly popular in the sail community. I'd bet Peggie Hall, doyenne of doo-doo, will chime in here. If not, you may want to ping CruisersForum. They also have a more international readership. I believe parts are still available in the UK

Good luck.

Peter

I don't think you'll still find any Lavac parts at St. Brendans Isle. They were the original US importer and distributor for Lavac until about 15 years ago when they walked away from Lavac to focus on what had been their side business: mail forwarding for cruisers--which they're still doing quite successfully. I'm surprised the Lavac page still shows up on their website. It has to be an oversight 'cuz there's no mention of Lavac anywhere else on their site and current prices for lavac toilets still in production are about 50% higher than the prices shown there.

--Peggie

Last edited:
comodave,

thanks for the diagram. it is as i feared that the screws holding the bowl to the base are bolts rather than studs. i will need to remove the whole assemblyto split it.

thanks again everyone

I don't think you'll still find any Lavac parts at St. Brendans Isle. They were the original US importer and distributor for Lavac until about 15 years ago when they walked away from Lavac to focus on what had been their side business: mail forwarding for cruisers--which they're still doing quite successfully. I'm surprised the Lavac page still shows up on their website. It has to be an oversight 'cuz there's no mention of Lavac anywhere else on their site and current prices for lavac toilets still in production are about 50% higher than the prices shown there.

--Peggie

15 years ago was about the last time I had a Lavac head issue. I needed new seat seals and I ordered from them.

I put in in Lavac's in my previous boat and generally liked them.

A big improvement was not flushing with seawater but using the hand-held shower-head while flushing with the lid open as fresh water prevents odors.

I only had one malfunction with the Lavacs in almost ten years of use. One of the units would not flush and I had to take it apart, one of the less pleasant aspects of boating. As it turned out a rather large almond piece was lodged in one of the two duck-bill valves, keeping it partly open and impeding the pumping action.

While trying not to get too scatological I explained to the crew the importance of properly chewing almonds while on board. And, just to be safe, I banned almonds in future cruises.

...And, just to be safe, I banned almonds in future cruises.

Watermelon must not be popular in your part of the world...its seeds are about the same size and shape as almonds. While rarely if ever eaten on purpose, it's not uncommon for a stray one to be ingested intact, resulting in similar problems in just about any marine toilet.

--Peggie

Back
Top Bottom