K2R - Any Risks/Drawbacks on Teak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mliemon2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scout
Vessel Make
Grand Banks EU 47
I spilled some oil and grease on my teak deck. My buddy uses K2R on everything and I've seen first hand how effective it is. But he doesn't care about the damage he does to his teak because he trades boats every 3-5 years.... me on the other hand, I want to get these decks to last 20+ years.

Any downside, risk, or issues to K2R on stains that people know of or have experienced?

Thanks!

Finished teak, or do you leave it unfinished?

I ask because K2R is in a large part, acetone. Acetone won't harm the wood, but will take off at least part of the oil finish. But anything that will remove the grease, will remove the finish :huh: I've used it on finished furniture and then touched up the oil or varnish as needed, afterwards.

You can buy K2R from West Marine and other chandleries, it's pretty ubiquitous on boats.

Last edited:
I know nothing about K2R but have felt your pain. We’ve used Dawn or 409 to get the heavy oil and after a few months we couldn’t tell wear we spilled the oil and no damage to the teak.

How big an area are we talking?

Last edited:
Raw teak decking.

We keep a can or two of K2R on the boat just for that. Cleaning up messes on the teak deck. It works, spray it on, let it sit just for a bit and dab a dry towel over the mess. I cant say it gets 100% of the oil/grease out but the majority of it.

Mix a jar of diatomaceous earth and naptha to a paste. Paint that over the spill and out a bit from the spill. Let it sit overnight. Vacuum up and repeat as needed.

We did this on bare teak that had a 9.9 Johnson put down on the wrong side; this method soaked up all the motor oil leaving no stain or indication of a spill.

Back
Top Bottom