Is this a safety issue - or just cosmetic? (w/pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From pics the large areas with sharp step to adjacent areas just look like very heavy bottom paint. I hadcanprevious boat with withnthis condition. Previous owner apparently painted bottom every year regardless of need and did little sand, scrape prep.
I scraped areas that came loose easily and feathered edges before repainting bare spots. Waterline tends to be a problem area as owners want it to look good and repaint every year whether it needs it or not. A thinned coat will give good appearance without the heavy build up.
I redid spots for 20+ years without ever doing the complete bottom prep all at once. If you are anal about it being perfect you can spend $$$ to have it prepped & painted but you likely will see little/ no performance difference vs simply doing spots as needed.

Ask to be put on the waitlists if there is no cost. I've had 3 different marinas contact me recently because they got to my name on the waitlist. Of course some places have way longer lists than others.

Good Luck!!

Kyle,

I’d pick Baltimore over Philly any day. Many more places to boat to in day. We love being in Baltimore. So much more to do when not out on the water than places like Middle River or Havre de Grace.

I’m addition to what’s above Baltimore is also closer for you and there’s no tolls. We split our time between our house in Mechanicsburg and the boat in Baltimore. It rarely takes more than 1:40 minutes either way. Often make it in 1:30 minutes.

I’d recommend you check out Anchorage Marine in the Canton neighborhood of Baltimore. We’ve been there for years, great place.

John

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are new to the forum - and new to yacht buying! We are looking at a 1999 Mainship 350 and upon our first visit I took the following pics of the hull since the boat is currently on the hard. Is all this "pitting" and "flaking" something to be worried about or is this normal? It doesn't look like photos of typical "blistering" I have seen, but again this is all new to me. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!
I would have the hull sounded but to me sloppy installation over the years of bottom paint

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom