Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• 7263138_20191025125543078_1_XLARGE.jpg
    7263138_20191025125543078_1_XLARGE.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 43
Different

Got a name for that puppy?

Hull wise (without the keel) it looks very much like a larger version of our Necky Tofino double sea kayak, which when fully loaded and most of the weight is below the waterline has amazing seakeeping capabilities.

Got a name for that puppy?

Hull wise (without the keel) it looks very much like a larger version of our Necky Tofino double sea kayak, which when fully loaded and most of the weight is below the waterline has amazing seakeeping capabilities.

33ft Blakely Boat by Nathan Smith

Similarities to Tlinglit by William Garden

images

Last edited:
33ft Blakely Boat by Nathan Smith

Similarities to Tlinglit by William Garden

images
Many years ago, maybe 1973 or 74, I was privileged to see Tlinglit up close. I didn't realize it had an Easthope. It was fairly speedy and had almost no wake. I think Mr Garden was in it and yes, I recall it was specifically to commute to one of the little gulf islands in all conditions. I had no idea who William Garden was at that time.
A Very unique vessel. 60 feet long and only about 8 feet wide. Amazing!

Last edited:
Slowgoest wrote;
“The stack is for the diesel wall mounted heater, looks like a Dickerson”

Never seen one w/o a flue cap on top.

Pic clearly shows a flue cap installed. If you are looking at the large grey "stack" in the very first picture, that is a piling behind the boat. The stack is probably 4" diameter, shiny SS, and much smaller.

Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Here's a nice Pilothouse 30 for sale for $37,900.00:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...285147618.html

We were slipmates with this vessel and owners for 15 years.

She is cute. Small although the couple that have her lived aboard with 2 dogs for 12 years or so.
heated it with the diesel bulkhead heater.

They would take her out occasionally during the summer.

Side exhaust which would make a nice bubbly sound as she cruised on by.

I expect the construction type is why she has not sold.

Appears to be a Beebe-inspired, Ostlund-designed passagemaker in steel with a Gardner. Advertised info leaves some...gaps, though. https://www.bananabeltboats.com/boa...g-range-trawler-anacortes-washington-7263138/

That’s damn cool, IMO. Might need some storm boards for those big windows tho maybe if headed to Hawaii or out wherever in the open ocean?

What’s the second wheel for at the helm? Variable pitch prop?

My thoughts on her is though the overall design and some of the mechanical appears to be for a serious passagemaker, much of the finish works against that mission. Maybe the salon windows are of thick glass securely bedded. Maybe not.

Some of the photos were obviously taken when she was on the hard. So why no hull pics below the waterline? Why no tank capacities? And yes the second wheel. I believe the lever below it might be the control for the hydraulic bow thruster. Maybe. :popcorn:

Maybe I'll call and ask :)

Last edited:
AkFly,
Yes the large tanks must tell of previous intensions. I have the same sized boat w 100gal fuel and consider it excessive.
The guy was clearly more of a doer and w less a thinker.
The GlenL boats are far from trawlers in their general types and hullforms. Perhaps he felt there wasn’t much to show below the WL.

I think the price is too high w old tanks and propulsion. I’d never get that for Willy and she’s got relatively new tanks and propulsion. His interior is better and nicer though.

My thoughts on her is though the overall design and some of the mechanical appears to be for a serious passagemaker, much of the finish works against that mission. Maybe the salon windows are of thick glass securely bedded. Maybe not.

Some of the photos were obviously taken when she was on the hard. So why no hull pics below the waterline? Why no tank capacities? And yes the second wheel. I believe the lever below it might be the control for the hydraulic bow thruster. Maybe. :popcorn:

I saw her up close on the hard (but not inside). She does have a variable pitch prop, which is neat, although wicked expensive. nice looking boat.

IMG_0836.jpg

I agree on the finish work . . .and the ER appears to be kind of a mish mash of stuff. Low ER overhead is a killer for me as well, especially for that sized boat. Also, no real back deck, just small cockpit, no swimstep except for a little maybe 2' x 2' foldable one. Nice running gear though!:whistling: Super clean looking engine!

48 gph at 36 knots = 1.33 gallons per mile or 8/10th of a gallon per minute.

Brand new boat with super clean-bottom and all items working at top performance. Wonder what the onboard load was - bet not what it would be during private family use?? I visited their website and the boats seem really nice. However, "fuel efficient" as mentioned in promo page?? As you mention "Boat marketing..."

Last edited:
For a planing boat of that size, especially one that fast, I'd say that's pretty efficient. They're just talking efficiency to people who would never accept the idea of going slower.

MJMs are arguably some of the highest tech boats designed and manufactured in North America.

That's the type of ad that makes me occasionally purchase a lottery ticket when I am fueling up at a gas station.

I saw a 2017 on YW for sale for $1.8 million. I guess they are nice. Sheesh.

I ran across a MJM 50z doing the loop. Gorgeous boat.

That ad reminds me of the old J/boats (sailing) ads. I used to love them. No surprise, the owner of MJM is Bob Johnstone. He was one of the founders of J/boats, and did all their marketing.

The recent discussion on FPB reminded me of MJM. Mary Jane's Motorboat.

About ten years ago I spent some time at a boat show lurking on an MJM listening to Bob schmooze about the boat. He was in his element.

Last edited:
The FPBs seem to have more of a teardrop shaped hull. This is a FPB 64.

IMG_0744.JPG

I wonder if the narrow stern is so it can surf down waves better and doesn’t lift up in the stern when the wave passes under? Like an old school double ended sailboat maybe?

Last edited:
I gotta admit, I’m fascinated by these FPB boats.

Watched a YouTube video recently of Steve and Linda Dashew trying to figure out the perfect ocean crossing powerboat and I’m captivated by their process. I’ll never be able to afford anything like an FPB, and I don’t have the balls to do what they do (or the wife who would want to do it either) but it’s neat to watch the design process and watch them in action.

This boat is pretty interesting but not one I would go to sea in and absolutely one I would never trust under water!!
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56382615
I am quite concerned about how the I/O would perform underwater!!

They're not really submarines. They are boats with an enclosed hull and really low freeboard. They can't submerge in the way a true submarine can.

To stop them, they just need to plug up the engine exhaust and then wait.

Greetings,
I was very surprised at the apparent speed of the "boat" in the film clip.

Although transporting coke - They were snorting as well as free basing crank... so they could peddle faster and longer! :facepalm: :dance:

Back
Top Bottom