If you dont know, now you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apagano

Veteran Member
Hello,
I am almost embarrassed to ask,but if I don't ask, I wont know.I just bought my first boat ( a marine Trader Double cabin mechanically in awesome shape) for an good price. The fly bridge is wide open and I would like to ( here is my problem) build protection, Bimini, hard top, Whats the lingo so I can research. What are the stanchions called, the metal work. The pros who do this type of work, what are they called? I would like to do half DIY if possible.I know I am presenting these questions in a silly way, but I need some answers.
Thank you very much
Alfonse

Hi Al, Welcome Aboard.

Often searches work with common lingo used because that is often how they are written.

Get a quality fabric Bimini made for the boat. Don't design and build your own hardtop. It will end up looking home made and will destroy the lines of the boat.

pete

First try a search on TF for hard tops. There have been many posts I've seen.
Canvas bimini frames / bows... any good canvas shops can do these.
Just search boat hardtop and you'll get plenty of mfg. Atlantic Towers one of the popular ones I've seen. These guys are somewhat specialized so fewer than avg canvas shops. Custom alum arch mfgs could make you custom supports if you do the top DIY.

Thanks,

When I mention DIY I was thinking more of installation rather than fabrication.

Fundamentally you are looking for a Bimini. two three four hoop/bow Bimini for the soft top version. Hardtop Bimini if you going for a hard-top. Both types can be enclosed with side curtains. Good Luck

FYI. The stancions are called the Bimini frame.

we are going to need pictures . what size and year dc ? congrats

Remember that trawler-style hulls like your MT tend to roll a bit. Adding a lot of weight up high doesn't help. That said, there is a light-weight, DIY hard-top option. Search for "hard-to-top." It'll look home-made and destroy the lines of the boat, but it should work.

Personally, I'd go with a local canvas shop and have them make a fabric Bimini.

In your climate, I'd seriously consider side curtains, too, for a full flybridge enclosure. That's where the real expense comes in. Good vinyl curtains, made by a canvas shop to zip and snap in, will cost hundreds of dollars each, and you'll need 8-12 of them. This would be true of a hard top or soft Bimini.

Consider that a hard top will be difficult to remove if you want to run the NY State canals, where you could hit overhead clearances as low as 14-17 feet. A Bimini can be made to easily fold down.

One last consideration would be to add solar panels as a sort of hard top. You'd have to custom design the frame to fit the panels and still keep the rain out, but for not much more money you'd greatly extend your time on the hook without running a generator.

I do not plan on staying in the NYC area but head south. I am not oppossed to canvas up top but I am committed to using solar panels and I understand the soft panels are not as efficient .and, some side panes sound very good

When I had a MT the beauty of the lower station is if the weather turns bad I would run the boat from down there

First off .... Never be afraid to ask ! We all started with zer0 knowledge.
We are all still learning !

I do not plan on staying in the NYC area but head south. I am not oppossed to canvas up top but I am committed to using solar panels and I understand the soft panels are not as efficient .and, some side panes sound very good

I've heard (and there are lots of solar experts here, so feel free to correct me!) that solar panels work better with an air space below them. So even flexible panels on canvas (or Sunbrella) isn't good. I'm dying to see how a "solar Bimini" using the panels themselves as the overhead, with minimal aluminum framing between them, would work.

Side curtains make all the difference. The flybridge then becomes a usable "place" instead of an outdoor space with an awning. Keeping rain, dust and spray out is a huge thing. Just be sure you can easily open up large areas for those hot days. Better designs swing up and clip, rather than roll up. Rolling takes a lot of effort and scratches the panels.

Has anyone here built there own bimini frame from stainless or aluminum tubing with all the proper elbows,45 and t fittings ect and then have a pro canvas outfit do the canvas work? Im thinking thats as far as I want to go with the DYI. anyone have any luck, tips and supply outfits welcomed. Thanks again

I would seek out a builder with a track record. Bending stainless steel bows and shaping a fly bridge enclosure is an art form. The great ones will design one that adds value to your boat.
Solar panels probable need a hardtop over the fly bridge.
Have you checked out using a wind generator vs solar panels ? Might be an alternative power source depending on your requirements.

Last edited:
Get a quality fabric Bimini made for the boat. Don't design and build your own hardtop. It will end up looking home made and will destroy the lines of the boat.

pete

Long bow to draw when you dont know the OP's background.
He could have a good eye and be skilled in composite/SS/alloy

Home design and build can work well for those that can.

Last edited:
Has anyone here built there own bimini frame from stainless or aluminum tubing with all the proper elbows,45 and t fittings ect and then have a pro canvas outfit do the canvas work? Im thinking thats as far as I want to go with the DYI. anyone have any luck, tips and supply outfits welcomed. Thanks again

Years ago I found a bimini frame kit somewhere. Maybe eBay or Amazon ??? Top was arched and the sides had the bend at the top. Used 6'' pieces of tubing that slide inside the main pieces and held by sheet metal screws. All the other fittings, T's, slides, and ends can be found in any major marine store.

Back
Top Bottom