Humorous/cute boat names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our current boat is Amadeus, which was the name when we bought it. It's a bit of a cultural literacy test, and a spelling test as well. The tender? Well "Wolfgang" of course.

The cute steel-hulled tug that was in the Washington DC area? She is as cute as a spotted pup.

My all time favorite seen in NC - "Never Again II "

We are awaiting arrival of our fourth boat in three years, the last two of which were shipped to Puget Sound from the east coast. Since we are both over seventy and optimists, we should probably come clean and name it: NOT THE LAST.

"Hoof Hearted" has a certain ring to it when said three times fast over a VHF

We are awaiting arrival of our fourth boat in three years, the last two of which were shipped to Puget Sound from the east coast. Since we are both over seventy and optimists, we should probably come clean and name it: NOT THE LAST.

Bob, why do you keep buying the wrong boat?

This one was tied up to a local marina, I thought it was a humorous name . 20200816_172356.jpeg

In our marina there is an adorably named bost----

Duffees Dubious Decision

Imagine trying to raise this boat on the Vhf.
It’s located in Naples, Florida

It’s name? “What Boat”

And then there’s the Hong Kong hailing port ship named “Titan Uranus.” Seriously.

"There it is. Our first reported sighting. We really should keep track of how many we find. It's about to become the decade's most cliche'd name."

Thank goodness, Carpe Diem was too cute the first time it was used.

I named my boat FlyWright as an easy-to-pronounce name and a triple entendre. I have always worked in aviation since learning to fly in high school. I've worked from the bottom up...starting at cleaning hangar floors to aircraft parts department manager, pilot, flight instructor, charter pilot, air traffic controller and ultimately FAA navaids flight inspection pilot. In that job, we had authority to certify (or de-certify) all private and public civil and military navigation systems, lighting aids, radars, comms, etc. So "wright", meaning worker, fit the bill. The capital "W" is a nod to my personal heroes, the Wright Brothers, whose inventions changed my life. Since I worked for the FAA and as a flight instructor, I spent my lifetime helping other pilots 'fly right'. So it hits the triple entendre mark.

My first dingy was named "Straighten Up" as in the song, "Straighten Up and Fly Right". When I got the second dink, it was larger, faster and a drier ride so I named it "Better Straighten Up" as in "Better Straighten Up and FlyWright!" When I get around to putting the name on the dink, it will be printed upside down.

If you're going to rename your boat, please do it responsibly. Here's some help...

Here's something we used for the renaming ceremony on FlyWright. It's a combination of a couple of variations we found on the net. It's divided into denaming and naming rituals.* We kind of got carried away with the very last, long sip.* It lasted several hours best I can recall.

Denaming:

In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.

Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus, guardian of the winds and all that blows before them...

We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.

Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known, (insert former boat name here), be struck and removed from your records. Further, we ask that when she is presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded, once again, the same privileges she previously enjoyed.

In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.
In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea.

Christening:

For thousands of years, we have gone to sea. We have crafted vessels to carry us and we have called them by name. These ships will nurture and care for us through perilous seas, and so we affectionately call them "she." To them we toast, and ask to celebrate (insert new name here).

Response: To the Sailors of old.

(Everybody takes a sip.)

The moods of the sea are many, from tranquil to violent. We ask that this ship be given the strength to carry on. The keel is strong and she keeps out the pressures of the sea.

Response: To the Sailors of old...and to the Sea.

(Everybody takes a sip.)

Today we come to name this lady (insert new name here) and send her to sea to be cared for, and to care for the (insert family name here) family. We ask the sailors of old and the mood of the god that is the sea to accept (insert new name here) as her name, to help her through her passages, and allow her to return with her crew safely.

(While christening the bow with champagne or a libation of your choice) I name this ship (insert new name here) and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her.

Response: To the Sailors before us...To the Sea...To (insert new name here)!

Everybody takes a last, long sip.

A word of caution, if you pick a name that isn't immediately obvious, you WILL spend 30-40 hours per week answering the question 'How do you say that?' and 'what does that mean?'

After about the 20th time explaining it to someone in a single day, my friend and I decided we should start thinking of fun things to tell people when they ask. My favorite one would go something like this:

Them: What does Sylphide mean?
Me: Oh, it's the back third of a worm.
Them: ...
Me: ...
Them: huh...
Me: Yep.

The 37-foot Eurobanker trawler, a Taiwan trawler I believe, across the bayou is named Wild Rice, and its rowing dinghy is named Duckling.

The USS Roosevelt (DDG 80) is named in honor of two people and their first names are applied to the sterns of the tow big diesel inboard/outboard RHIBs the ship carries, one being Eleanor and the other being Franklin. Just thought you'd like to know.

Had a sailing buddy w a nice 45’ boat named Breaking Wind complete w a pair of butt checks blowing a puff. His wife was not amused.

Had a sailing buddy w a nice 45’ boat named Breaking Wind complete w a pair of butt checks blowing a puff. His wife was not amused.

Probably somebody I would not get along with..... just sayin'.

Originally Posted by Lollygag1 View Post

Probably somebody I would not get along with..... just sayin'.

You'd might get along OK with him... as long as it's over the phone; so "Wind" fumes off his boat's transom "butt checks" cant get cha! :whistling:

Wife was cool. Husband was a tool bag.

A word of caution, if you pick a name that isn't immediately obvious, you WILL spend 30-40 hours per week answering the question 'How do you say that?' and 'what does that mean?'

Certainly true of Seeadler, but i find those conversations generally enjoyable, explaining about the Graf von Luckner and the "Kaiser's Pirates". A special treat last summer in Friday Harbor when two German charterers heard our call to the Harbormaster and rushed to the assigned slip thinking we were landsmanner. Still a good conversation.

Certainly true of Seeadler, but i find those conversations generally enjoyable, explaining about the Graf von Luckner and the "Kaiser's Pirates". A special treat last summer in Friday Harbor when two German charterers heard our call to the Harbormaster and rushed to the assigned slip thinking we were landsmanner. Still a good conversation.

In the early 1960s, convinced my father to name his new 28-foot sloop Seeadler. :thumb: ... von Luckner was an honorable gentleman.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the early 1960s, convinced my father to name his new 28-foot sloop Seeadler. :thumb. ... von Luckner was an honorable gentleman.

We have his photo displayed on a bulkhead. ...Luckner, not your dad.

When we bought our little 32 Senator it had the name Intrigue on it. I thought it was a bit pretentious.
I wanted something I had not seen before and we wanted something that involved our other family members...our two dogs. Then I remembered a place I went to in Kauai when I was in the Marines as a Helicopter crew chief. It was the Missile range/electronic warfare site called Barking Sands. Barking Sands is also the name of an amazing beach there. At the missile range we used to fly through the mountains keeping as low as possible as to not get painted with radar and avoid any "Smokey Sams" they would send up. Lots of fun.

So when we get the chance..in the next few months..when we tackle the paint we will change the name. Simple, personal.

Last edited:
Several years ago my wife and I decided that we needed a boat for Lake Tahoe since we live in Reno. I checked cl for the best priced Sea Ray 240 on the west coast and found it in Scottsdale, AZ. Called the owner and got his description and most everything had been replaced; engine, carpet, canvas, gauges, etc.

Made the deal and drove 8 hours - inspected and test drive, and everything was as he had described, new/excellent shape - except for the name. "She Hates Me" was in full display across the stern. He told me he only had her three years and she was a money pit and "she hates me."

Deal was completed and I drove 8 hours home with "She Hates Me" in tow, fully embarrassed every time someone followed me and passed. Took the name off, have enjoyed the boat immensely on Tahoe, and still haven't put a new name on the stern.

I named my boat FlyWright as an easy-to-pronounce name and a triple entendre. I have always worked in aviation since learning to fly in high school. I've worked from the bottom up...starting at cleaning hangar floors to aircraft parts department manager, pilot, flight instructor, charter pilot, air traffic controller and ultimately FAA navaids flight inspection pilot. In that job, we had authority to certify (or de-certify) all private and public civil and military navigation systems, lighting aids, radars, comms, etc. So "wright", meaning worker, fit the bill. The capital "W" is a nod to my personal heroes, the Wright Brothers, whose inventions changed my life. Since I worked for the FAA and as a flight instructor, I spent my lifetime helping other pilots 'fly right'. So it hits the triple entendre mark.

My first dingy was named "Straighten Up" as in the song, "Straighten Up and Fly Right". When I got the second dink, it was larger, faster and a drier ride so I named it "Better Straighten Up" as in "Better Straighten Up and FlyWright!" When I get around to putting the name on the dink, it will be printed upside down.

That is the very best boat naming story ever. Well done:thumb:

Our Sea Ray is named Beachcomber. The dinghy, a 13' Boston Whaler is "Little Beach" and the 13' Whaler we have in Arizona is "Sunny Beach".

Back
Top Bottom