Hook 5 Reveal (purchased this Spring) question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tazling

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
DARXIDE
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
I am fairly contented with the combo chartplotter/fishfinder Hook5. It does what I want. I have one big gripe about it though and am wondering whether anyone has a workaround.

It offers the usual two chart orientations -- North Up and Course Up. Not to start a religious war or anything, but I loathe Course Up and always want North Up. However, North Up is badly implemented.

Course Up appears to be the default, and (as is logical) the boat icon (current position) is about 4/5ths of the way down the screen, so that more screen is devoted to where you're going than where you've been.

Unfortunately when I switch to North Up, the boat icon stays in the same position, meaning that I have advance chart visibility only when travelling northward! I have to move the cursor to force the boat icon higher up on the screen if I want any forward visibility southward.

Hope this description makes sense. In North Up, imho, the boat icon should be dead centre on the screen. It seems like an incredibly basic software bug that the Hook5 leaves the boat icon in the Course Up position even when it switches to North Up mode.

Has anyone else run into this, and if so, did you find some clever way of fixing it? I get really tired of having to scroll around all the time to see further ahead of me on the chart when heading southward.

On my Raymarine MFD I can set course up or north up. In addition in a separate setting I can choose whether the boat is centered on the screen or offset a bit or even more to look ahead. The two settings are independent of each other. Are you sure your plotter doesn’t have the offset setting?

On my Raymarine MFD I can set course up or north up. In addition in a separate setting I can choose whether the boat is centered on the screen or offset a bit or even more to look ahead. The two settings are independent of each other. Are you sure your plotter doesn’t have the offset setting?

I want to say that I have been through every option in every menu and have not found such a setting -- but I guess I should go through them all one more time and report back. I'll be on the boat doing this and that, on and off all week and will try to make time to walk through all those menus again.

I have a Hook 7.... I bought for fishing from my canoe.

I don't remember any settings for moving the boat icon around like my Raymarine's did but that doesn't mean there isn't or isn't a workaround.

All in all.... I bought it because it was inexpensive for the sounder functions and screen size and have thought it is pretty inexpensively made. It is the least user friendly software/buttons of MFDs I have used but in all fairness I haven't used it as much as one I would on a larger boat.

Looking through the manual, I don't see a "ship offset" option.

Back
Top Bottom