Employment, marine tech and electrician….

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TowLou

Vessel Name
Bassey
Vessel Make
17' Bass
Hello everyone, long time fan of this community and all the shared knowledge. I’m kinda in a place where I’ve decided it’s time to relocate from my hometown area and get closer to the oceans. With my collective skills of wrenching and operating just about anything with wheels and a motor on dirt, now currently working on generators the past 3 years it’s time to pursue what I would like to do next in this next chapter. In brief was working at a great small company we got bought recently and in not a fan of management. Planning to put my house on the market for the right opportunity.

Anyhow in currently in a search for good marinas with happy staff looking for a multi skilled individual. Willing to fly down for a few days. Not looking for a backing just experiences with a good staff who may be looking for a willing and qualifies individual east coast in the states almost thinking the keys, I heard we had a past employee who came from Bermuda worked for a little bit and then went back. Anyone know a tech who worked in NJ now resides over there lol?

Good luck, hope you find a good place to land. I will be looking to make a similar transition in a couple years but will be looking for general maintenance, dock hand and grounds.

Good luck, hope you find a good place to land. I will be looking to make a similar transition in a couple years but will be looking for general maintenance, dock hand and grounds.
Thank you, right back at you when that decision is made! It’s worth a shot to ask I’m not asking for a sponsorship just experiences with a decent place. I feel im a pretty decent guy who shows up everyday. I even have a current part time gig being the weekend manager/dispatcher for a tow company I have almost a 15 year relationship with. Working with police and local accounts built up through the years of offering reliable services.

I may just book a flight for a few days later this week do a walkabout even. Figure if I’m there in person with a meter in hand ready to work maybe considered more then just with a phone call and email. First to closed the doors with this prior place tomorrow, then to focus on the next.

A great idea but be careful. In the Bahamas, Mexico and other countries we’ve been to, the locals are very protective of non residents working on the docks. Don’t get caught working on a boat in another country when you came in on a tourist visa. Just saying.

A good wrench, er mechanic, will always find work. The good ones are aging out and not many young ones interested to fill the vacancies.

A large operation in Ft Pierce, FL opened a few years ago and seem to be expanding. It is a superyacht type operation.... probably better benefits and pay compared to smaller operations but even if you wanted to trade down in a few years, not a bad resume addition.

A great idea but be careful. In the Bahamas, Mexico and other countries we’ve been to, the locals are very protective of non residents working on the docks. Don’t get caught working on a boat in another country when you came in on a tourist visa. Just saying.
Nothing like that. I’m looking for proper employment. I only mention the Bahamas because my prior company had a guy come from there and went back. Would be funny one day to run into the guy.

A good wrench, er mechanic, will always find work. The good ones are aging out and not many young ones interested to fill the vacancies.
I agree. I’m in that age with a well rounded experience to step up for my final career step.

A large operation in Ft Pierce, FL opened a few years ago and seem to be expanding. It is a superyacht type operation.... probably better benefits and pay compared to smaller operations but even if you wanted to trade down in a few years, not a bad resume addition.

I agree for the addition of experience. Working with the newest technology there I bet. I will definitely send them my info. Tomorrow morning I’m gonna sit along the river in my back yard having my coffee tweaking my resume after I tow the work van to the shop and toss the keys, tablet, and phone in the office.

@psneeld sent out my resume to them and many others I have seen listed. They looks like a great place, only call back was from a head hunter in the generator field saying their openings for marine generator/ electrician wants 10 years in the marine field. That’s ok corporate has ruined all the good things anyhow for hard working people. Looks like a flight down and walk a few docks and talk to the locals is gonna be the way, or just don’t worry I’ll have time and a lil extra capitol to get established somewhere…

My experience tells me that the new generation working in the industry are familiar with computer diagnostics and not so familiar with old school mechanical diagnosis. I have a friend that works in a GMC dealership and he said there isn't a guy in the shop that knows real diagnostic skills. Basically "If the computer says so it must be that, if it ain't that, I don't know."

If anyone is interested in working in the San Francisco bay area, I do believe that the San Francisco Boat Works are looking for people of all skills and skill levels. The manager/owner, Sam Middlehurst is a good guy and is looking to expand his business. Reach out to him directly if anyone is interested in the left-coast.

My 2c thoughts, as you are able to shop is to identify desired location, then housing availability, then commuting. Your reference toward the keys which is what prompted my response.
Marine work on the east coast is somewhat seasonal until you hit south Florida then it becomes steady but getting around can be difficult. I recently looked at a new mega yacht facility at Ft. Lauderdale that has a ring of condos for the professional crew when land-side. Now that's accommodating!
Second thought is picking up a couple of ABYC certifications. The ones requiring hands on classes are a good way to meet employers that are looking. Same said for factory certification classes.

There is also a group in Redwood City CA but you may not want to relocate.

I have lived in the Keys and now in Fort Myers area. Good boat mechanics are tough to find.

Before you move to Florida, though, I would find out if I would like working outdoors in the 95 degree temps and 95% humidity we have down here for 6-7 months of the year.

MAYBE a perfect gig would be to work for a reputable boatyard up north in the summer, and a Florida boatyard in the winter?

Try the Marine Industries in Fort Lauderdale . Big and small operations / boat yards ,shops . . Beard Marine is always looking for techs. Google, Marine opening in Ft Lauderdale .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom