Do you always check props/shafts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliet 15

Vessel Name
Knot Hours
Vessel Make
Hatteras 58 LRC
I'm doing my regular haulout next week. I have no vibrations or visible runout on my shafts as far as I can see them in the engine room. As far as I know, I haven't hit anything. I'm considering skipping the usual shaft and prop removals for shaft trueness check and prop scanned.

Do you always have them checked on haulout? Is this a bad idea?

Last edited:
I only clean them if everything is fine ,shake the shaft to check the cutlass bushing and rezinc it , maybe send them out every 5 yrs or so, I have an outboard that has not been touched in 20 yrs , the only advantage to more service is when something needs service it will come apart and is not completely seized

We haul every winter, being in the frozen north. I clean props, shafts, etc. check for any signs of damage, check cutlass bearings, replace anodes, and touch up paint as needed. If there were no concerns noted before haulout and I don't find anything out of place after, I don't pull props or shafts for further inspection.

We haul every winter, being in the frozen north. I clean props, shafts, etc. check for any signs of damage, check cutlass bearings, replace anodes, and touch up paint as needed. If there were no concerns noted before haulout and I don't find anything out of place after, I don't pull props or shafts for further inspection.

This is what I have always done as well.

I don't pull shaft or prop unless there is a specific issue. I'll have the shaft checked if it gets pulled for a cutlass bearing.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

pete

People run with wheels that are out of track constantly. They either can’t feel it or it feels normal but your cutlass bearing and your rear transmission seal knows. If you don’t know how then have the yard check cutlass clearance and wear and track your prop. This is the business end of your drivetrain so it’s worth a few pesos to check. Of course if you don’t trust the yard then I wasn’t here.

Rick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom