Directly Connecting a Nemo Gateway to a PC via Ethernet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
I'm attempting to directly connect my Rosepoint Nemo Gateway to my Intel NUC PC (Win10) which runs Coastal Explorer via an ethernet cable.

I had it all working through a Wifi Router but I'd like to eliminate the router as a point of failure (requiring 110 VAC) along with the need for DHCP. This is part of a project to move all navigation to 12V.

When I eliminate the router my PC still "sees" the Nemo but won't read any data. I've set up fixed IP addresses and gateways on both devices but still can't receive any NMEA 2000 or 0183 sentences.

I can ping the Nemo Gateway from the PC. Private network firewall is OFF.

I've tried straight CAT 6 cables and a crossover cable with no change.

From the Nemo manual:

Connect an Ethernet cable between the ETHERNET port on the Nemo
Gateway and your PC
or network (router, switch or hub). If connecting the
Nemo Gateway to your network, your PC(s) may connect to the same network
via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. If utilizing Wi-Fi, your router or access point would provide the Wi-Fi connectivity.

When connecting to an existing network the Nemo Gateway should be able to
operate without additional configuration, either by acquiring a DHCP or LinkLocal IP address. Changes to the configuration can be made following the steps in section Device Configuration of this manual.

The Nemo Gateway can output NMEA 0183 information over UDP, allowing
multiple devices on the same network to receive data simultaneously.
Recommendation: All devices critical to the navigation system should use a
wired Ethernet connection.

My networking skills are 20+ years old (I remember token ring and AppleTalk) and Googling is getting me nowhere. I can call Rosepoint on Monday but this change was on my weekend update list and I'd love to get it resolved.

Anyone else setup like this and if so do you remember how you did it?

Attachments

• GatewaySettings.jpg
    GatewaySettings.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
You could load WireShark on your PC and capture traffic on your Ethernet port and see if you see the UDP traffic. Pretty geeky tool though. That would tell you if it is a Network issue or a local Configuration issue.

I haven’t used CE, any chance it is only monitoring the Wireless port and not the Ethernet port?

Just call Rosepoint on Monday. They will walk you through it and optimize all your settings. They are extremely helpful.

If you can ping the Nemo, you should be able to use your browser on the PC with the Nemo's IP address to log into the Nemo. Both, crossover or std Ethernet cables should work as most new device interfaces support auto-MDIX.

The PC and the Nemo device would need to be on the same subnet. If the PC has more than one network interface, things can get more interesting. Make sure they are on different subnets and don't specify a default gateway on the NIC with the Nemo device.

Last edited:
I agree about calling Rose Point, but if you don't want to wait, I wouldn't think that the link local stuff would work right without some changes on Win 10 due to security and the firewall. If you did set a static IP on the Nemo, and another on the Windows box that is in the same subnet, then it should just work. I tested it that way when I did my review of the Nemo and it worked fine....

Ok. My Nemo Gateway is directly connected to the NUC. Steve Mitchell is correct. You MUST disable Windows Defender. No other option. Twisted Tree helped me through this as well as Rosepoint and that was our only solution. Just make sure you aren’t connected to wifi or cellular service.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks Steve Mitchell and JDCAVE, it turned out I had only disabled Windows Defender for private networks. As soon as I disabled it for public networks everything worked.

Very good! The NUC is an excellent option for a Nav station. I’ve been really impressed with its stability, since I’ve installed it.

Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom