Deck and Trim work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russ Borman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Athena
Vessel Make
41 Roughwater
Going to start some projects on my 41 Roughwater, the 1st is stripping the old deck paint off to reseal and paint. Question how best to strip that old deck paint off, heat gun, chemical , sand? Second how best to finish the exterior wood trim work. It looks like its never had a finish not a trace of old varnish or any thing. I like letting the nature wood come though, I don't need shiny varnish so would just oiling it be ok?

Good luck on the paint, I don't have an answer. Oiling the bare wood will work just fine but you have to keep doing it. It's easier to keep your Teak/Tung/Linseed oil handy with a rag and just wipe it down when you think about it. Some people use a mix of varnish and oil to seal it further and bring up a shine. In Mexico we just painted all the wood, over the varnish. Depends on whether you want to cruise or varnish.

I'd try sanding it off first. Since you have to sand at some point one way or the other.

I'd try sanding it off first. Since you have to sand at some point one way or the other.

That's where I'd start. When we bought Hobo, the back deck was varnished. 80 grit on a 6" random orbital sander did the trick. I used a scrapper on the inside corners and 1/4 sheet palm sander for touch up. The decks looked the best we'll ever see.

edit: If you have any seams or plugs that you think will need attention, do those first.

Thanks for the reply's, that interesting I did not think sanding would be the best choice . But that's why I asked.

"the 1st is stripping the old deck paint off to reseal and paint'

Are you stripping the GRP portion of the boat or the teak overlay of the deck?

No teak on decks just ply with fiberglass then paint.

Having done a fair share of sanding the art is to do no damage.

A larger 12-15AMP angle grinder fitted with a Bher Manning thick (about 2 inch thick about 8 inches in diameter.) sanding pad with a glue on disc would be choice. Sanding Disc adhesive comes in a tube.

Find a shop that will sell floor sanding sheet material, usually about 10 inches wide and cut it square.

16 grit looks like pebbles stuck on cardboard but the silicone carbide is fast with a light touch and wont clog , even with green glass.

When stuck on the disc the corners will assist in NOT digging in .

A LIGHT touch is needed !.

Last edited:
Mr. FF. A square piece of sandpaper on a round pad? Corners hanging over? __________________
RTF

YES!!!

with the stiff cardboard the floor sanding paper uses it is a big help in not creating a wavy surface.

Divots are for the golf course , not the deck or cabin sides!

"Mr. FF. A square piece of sandpaper on a round pad? Corners hanging over? __________________
RTF

YES!!!

with the stiff cardboard the floor sanding paper uses it is a big help in not creating a wavy surface.

Divots are for the golf course , not the deck or cabin sides!"
user_offline.gif

:thumb:
Try it. You will like the results from this technique!

I will give it try
Thanks for the info.

On the deck I think I would just sand it good and prime with same brand primer as paint .

"On the deck I think I would just sand it good and prime with same brand primer as paint ."

There are really 2 types of primers.

One will give great sticktion to whatever surface its on polly , epoxy repair or old paint.

The other primer style is made to easily be sanded so a great surface finish can be obtained.

You may need both for a fantastic looking paint job.

Back
Top Bottom