Countdown to splash!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
Our new to us Egg Harbor 48’ is almost ready to go back into the water after a month out.
We did most of the work ourself’s , but hired out wiring and Machinest work.
When we bought it, it had one damaged rudder shaft from catching a commercial crab pot at 20. We pulled it out with much trouble due to the PO using ductile pillow blocks that were frozen to the shafts. It took 2 days with a grinder to get them out.
The prop shop built us a new rudder and we used quality stainless pillow blocks with zerks. New packing in the rudder boxes, and all new stainless hardware. Next up was the props, we pulled them off and took them up for inspection/service. They advised me to order up a new set for the next hall out as these had seen better days, but will work for 3-4 more years. We tackled the bottom paint ourselves again. Sanded down with 80, two coats of Interlux primcon and 3 coats of Interlux Micron-66.
Serviced all zinks, through hulls, engine oil/filters/zinks/antifreeze/hoses. We hired a pro for the bow truster, it would only power up to port. The mechanics found a faulty solenoid and ordered up a replacement. Next up is to drop all the Chain and inspect it, check the total length and decide if it’s enough.

1978 48’

Attachments

• 574F4A7D-9F18-4DF7-8E3A-EA37688602A0.jpg
    574F4A7D-9F18-4DF7-8E3A-EA37688602A0.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 30
nice boat. Where'd you do the haul out that let you do your own work. The only places I know are Hylebos in Tacoma and Swantown down in Oly.

nice boat. Where'd you do the haul out that let you do your own work. The only places I know are Hylebos in Tacoma and Swantown down in Oly.

Also Canal Boatyard in Ballard. Toni, did you sell your Camano?

Last edited:

Port of Everett will let you do your own work.
They are good to work with providing you follow the rules. HEPA vacuum attached to sander, clean up after yourself, no spray painting.

Got it back into the water today. Stopped at the fuel dock for 500 gallons and then a shake down run.
Everything went well, in gear at 600rpm we do 8mph. At 1850 rpm we are doing 27.8mph with a fuel use of around 24 gallons per hour according to the computer. We will monitor a few tanks and see how it averages out. All in all it was 20k and about 160 hours for me it get the systems maintenance up to date, bottom paint, fix rudder, and a few odds and ends. Next up Is the interior! Wife is picking colors/fabrics now!

Attachments

• FC618915-F67A-40EA-B249-1C7B0C50F8E9.jpg
    FC618915-F67A-40EA-B249-1C7B0C50F8E9.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 16
  • 97FEED7B-51DC-4787-9A59-5828D73D9D08.jpg
    97FEED7B-51DC-4787-9A59-5828D73D9D08.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 18
~1 nmpg up on plane is impressively good for that much boat! Looks good in the water and sounds like she'll be ready to take you to new and interesting places soon.

Looks quick just tied to the dock! Heck, I get nose bleeds past 12.

Thank you, a tad bit faster than our 1971 33’ Egg harbor and better use of a lower cost fuel.

Holy buckets that thing is "geared" tall. Getting that kind of speed at those rpms is impressive. Enjoy and have fun.

BTW, its good to hear that everett allows you to do your own work. Fewer and fewer places will do that and I try and do what I can to support them. Well, maybe not so much Hylebos, just because the owner is such a butt. But, at his age he's there less and less and the other folks working there are good people.

Congrats on your new baby. She sure has pretty lines.

Thank you, we ended up in our dream boat a little quicker than we though. But we are very happy how everything worked out. We still have some issues to work out like all boats that are new to you. Random light switches that we do not know what they turn on/off. Random lights on the back deck that we do not know how to turn on/off.
An Ice maker that only makes steam, a lot of teak that needs stripped and varnished. A lot of canvas that needs replaced (good thing I have a nice walking foot).
The swim step needs to come off and be rebuilt. A few things we will change out is the main fridge is 110 only, I can put it on the inverter, but its an old Kenmore that uses a poo ton of power... The hot water tank is 110 only, I prefer if it was also looped into an engine or the webasco.

Thank you, we ended up in our dream boat a little quicker than we though. But we are very happy how everything worked out. We still have some issues to work out like all boats that are new to you. Random light switches that we do not know what they turn on/off. Random lights on the back deck that we do not know how to turn on/off.
An Ice maker that only makes steam, a lot of teak that needs stripped and varnished. A lot of canvas that needs replaced (good thing I have a nice walking foot).
The swim step needs to come off and be rebuilt. A few things we will change out is the main fridge is 110 only, I can put it on the inverter, but its an old Kenmore that uses a poo ton of power... The hot water tank is 110 only, I prefer if it was also looped into an engine or the webasco.

Same with all boats, even new ones, they all have things to get fixed or modified. Have fun. We are 5+ years into our current boat and still making lots of changes.

Always have loved Eggs. Really like your model Egg! Enjoy it for many years!!

Back
Top Bottom