Alaska dreams 2022 - customs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Awnie1301

Hi,
Let the planning begin! We are looking forward to a summer on the Inside Passage and are hoping that finally this year we can cross into Alaska. We are a Canadian boat (and crew) so I have a question about customs.

We will likely linger in Prince Rupert for a couple of days until we get a decent weather window. My understanding is that if we anchor in somewhere like Foggy Bay for the night on our way to Ketchikan we need to let border services know. Is this right? Also I was reading somewhere that Canadian boats need to have regular check in’s with border services as we travel? Is this right? We are a 55’ vessel so would a CBP license be needed? Would this eliminate the need for regular check in’s…after the initial check in Ketchikan?

Hope this makes sense.

Hi,
Let the planning begin! We are looking forward to a summer on the Inside Passage and are hoping that finally this year we can cross into Alaska. We are a Canadian boat (and crew) so I have a question about customs.

We will likely linger in Prince Rupert for a couple of days until we get a decent weather window. My understanding is that if we anchor in somewhere like Foggy Bay for the night on our way to Ketchikan we need to let border services know. Is this right? Also I was reading somewhere that Canadian boats need to have regular check in’s with border services as we travel? Is this right? We are a 55’ vessel so would a CBP license be needed? Would this eliminate the need for regular check in’s…after the initial check in Ketchikan?

Hope this makes sense.

1. Call K-Town (CBP) while you are in PR and obtain permission to anchor up in Foggy Bay. Make sure you report in the next day in K-Town.

2. I have heard that some Canadian boats were told to do regular report in, although I have never seen that in writing. Call CBP and ask them as I have also seen Canadians not reporting in. Seems kinda of stupid to require a report in requirement. Maybe some Canadians who have done this trip will chine in. Same in the San-Juans or just Alaska?

Good luck and welcome to Alaska!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom