Adding Autohelm Pump to Hynautic Steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle Blues

Vessel Name
High Noon V / SV Evelyn
Vessel Make
Golden Star 42 / Ericson 30 / Yard full of trailer boats
In the process of installing an Octopus pump into an existing Hynautic manual single station steering system. H-20 Helm Unit with a K-2 9" Balanced Cylinder

While the Hynautic sheet for the helm unit says "..includes holding valves and compensation valves.." , later section says .."any hydraulic autopilot added to a Hynautic system must incorporate a lockout valve, either internal or external to the autopilot pump."
Octopus manual says "Ensure that the existing hydraulic system incorporates non return [lockout] valves in the helm pump, if it does not suitable valves must be fitted.
I haven't been able to find anything searching for a lockout valve and it doesn't appear on the parts diagrams.

Does anyone have a suggestion? picture or part # of an existing one?

Thanks

As far as I know the lockout valves are to allow servicing the pump without loss of steering. I think any valves that will handle the flow rate and pressure will work. As far as I know Octopus pumps have lock out valves built into the body.

I've got a vintage 1983 Hynautic system. When I purchased the boat 3 yrs ago she had an equally ancient Wesmar autopilot. The pump has no lockout valves and never has.

Hi.

I have the same exact steering and added a Sitex autopilot with octopus pump. The lock out valves are optional (no matter what there manual says)

I replaced all my steering lines at the same time. I redid them in copper (yes it was a bitch, but the original system lasted over 30 years, so why not?) I used copper gas line that had plastic yellow sheathing on it.

Since i replaced all the lines, rebuilt the pump and ram, i did mot out any valves in. If i were piecing the pump lines in, i would have used valves.

You fine. Worry about doing the basics of the install the way you want (correctly) and the valves should never be necessary . If the motor failed, you just steer as normal. Just a convenience

Good luck and you'll be fine wither way

Yeah, I may be overthinking this a bit. The pump manifold has shutoff needle valves that will keep the system closed for servicing. I was afraid the lockout was something more complicated.

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I may be overthinking this a bit. The pump manifold has shutoff needle valves that will keep the system closed for servicing. I was afraid the lockout was something more complicated.

Lol. Your not over thinking it (well, maybe, but thats a good sign). I was all nervous about my double flares. Obsessed about them. Figured i woukd pressurize the system and watch 60-80$ worth of hydraulic fluid leak into my bilge. (It was fine not one flared leak, lol)

Not really. Anytime you have more than one “helm”, be it a wheel or an AP pump, you need lock valves. Otherwise when one station operates, it would just turn the other stations instead of the rudder. So they are very important. But also really nothing more than a fancy check valve. But also important enough that in the few systems I’ve seen, they are part of the helm or AP pumps. Can’t say that’s always the case, but has been in my limited experience.

Not really. Anytime you have more than one “helm”, be it a wheel or an AP pump, you need lock valves. Otherwise when one station operates, it would just turn the other stations instead of the rudder. So they are very important. But also really nothing more than a fancy check valve. But also important enough that in the few systems I’ve seen, they are part of the helm or AP pumps. Can’t say that’s always the case, but has been in my limited experience.

I stand corrected! Lol. My boat is single helm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom