12V 400AH LFP Server Rack Battery $1500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a cruiser warranties are all unless paper to me. Just what I suppose to do when my warrantied battery dies? Probably the same thing I did when my 2.5 year old warrantied Fire Fly batteries died.

I have 4 - 100ah Power Queen batteries I got 4 months ago. They got a good review from Wil Powers, but I am starting to question their capacity. Till I send a message to Power Queen about the capacity they had always answered quickly, but now ...........

Question - just what is a 400ah power pack advantage over 4 - 100ah batteries? It seems that the 400ah pk on topic is same basic price as the 4 batteries. So why risk a single point failure?

Last edited:
Question - just what is a 400ah power pack advantage over 4 - 100ah batteries? It seems that the 400ah pk on topic is same basic price as the 4 batteries. So why risk a single point failure?
If you're referring to the 400ah/12v server rack battery, I see a lot of benefit over 4x100ah. The 4x100 system should be balance-charged from time to time. And the server rack has full communications so you can monitor at a very granular level. There are no cabling issues. Down side is the 400ah battery is 100-lbs so damn heavy.

Peter

If you're referring to the 400ah/12v server rack battery, I see a lot of benefit over 4x100ah. The 4x100 system should be balance-charged from time to time. And the server rack has full communications so you can monitor at a very granular level. There are no cabling issues. Down side is the 400ah battery is 100-lbs so damn heavy.

Peter

Looking into the "balance-charged from time to time" issue I found the majority of users never do this and many just believe it is unneeded. But just what difference is there between the cells in a 100ah park and a 400ah pack that changes any of that?

Far as "server rack has full communications so you can monitor at a very granular level", so do 100ah packs if you get one with a bluetooth BMS.

But even if a 400ah pack has those advantages it still remains that it is a single point failure away for a boat losing all it's batteries as opposed to 4 individual batteries when 1 can be taken out of service (and yes I have had to do this twice and was able to continue on my cruise with just an inconvenience)

Single point failure invokes the redundancy gene.
If I were to get a 400AH server rack, I would want two.
If all I needed was 400Ah then I would get 2-200Ah
I would not get 4-100, but would get 2-100 if 200Ah total was all needed.

Maybe I would do it for floor space reasons, I don't have a lot of space to put the rack-mounted battery, it's just a small house that I won't use for a while. So far, I haven't had any problems with the 400ah 48V server rack battery. When I decide to go off grid, maybe I'll invest in an off-grid system.

Back
Top Bottom