GB 42 classic interior stain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chucks

We have a 1996 GB 42 with interior water damage around windows. Original GB owners book says stain used in production was Timbertone. Not avl. any more. What have others used to match existing stain. Thanks for any help.

Would dearly love the answer to this. Our new to us 42 1981 vintage has about 3 different color stains. We decided to match the color of the valances which do not have sun damage. They are a red tone and we found that Varathane Classic stain in Ipswich Pine matched it best....the color on the can did not even look close but we had already tried 7 others and none even came close. Hope this helps

Thanks for your input. Our 96 is the same color throughout so still looking for the right stuff. Hope someone has figured it out.

I will get you a picture of my can. Very good match.

I mixed Awlwood colors for areas I stripped to bare wood like helm door, rear door, interior front window trim and thresholds. Used matt mixed with gloss. Perfect match.

Go to grandbankschoices and read down into blog.

Saw everything you did. Wonderful job. As I look at yours it seems to have more of a reddish tone than mine. Ours is more lite and slight blond tint.

I mixed 1/3 yellow with 2/3 clear, except rear door exterior. That is yellow primer.

If you want more yellow dilute more.
Have to experiment.

I have matched stains on several different boats and other projects. It used to be that if you asked nicely, a paint store would give you a small squirt of several different pigments. Now, it's easiest to just buy several cans of Minwax stain and mix it via trial and error. Stay away from the water based stains - you need the golden hue of oil base. Speaking of which, the golden hue of oil based polyurethane adds some age to the final product.

Repairing water damage is difficult. You may want to try a dilute solution of oxalic acid to restore the color to new/neutral then stain. Careful though, it's easy to raise the grain, then sand through the veneer trying to repair.

Good luck.

Peter

I am sorry, miss read your post.

I think you can bleach the teak to get rid of stains. Can't do that with veneer.

I have bleached teak but you need to really rinse it before varnishing. Bleached teak is very blond. The more you same teak the darker it will get.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom